Chapter Fourteen~The Search

Comincia dall'inizio

The planned course for the crew was to round the Peurto Rico Trench, and slip past the Bahamas until they reached Kingston once again, where they would refresh their supplies and hopefully set out once more if Marianna had not yet been found.

And oh, how Benedict hoped she would be.

- - -

Nights and days passed ever so slowly for Benedict. Each day they came to a dead end. They passed through the sea without a sight of any hostile ship, at least any willing to take part in battle with their frigate, broading twenty eight canons on just one deck. Many of those ships were small schooners and sloops that loitered near harbours of the islands they surrounded. Benedict made a mental note to have battleships later eradicate the fiends, for at the moment his orders were fresh in his mind. He was reluctant to follow through with them though, despite the fact that he saw their importance. Love truly did blind a man, and especially a young and inexperienced man such as Benedict Barnes.

He did not bother to fend off the fantasies and memories that arose amidst his thoughts. He could not forget the pale face, free of blemish. She was like a porcelain doll in his eyes, so fragile, yet strength was secretly hidden somewhere within the delicate exterior. While a porcelain doll could simply be shattered by knocking it to the ground, Benedict fancied the thought that within the doll's eyes was a long lost sense of entitlement. It knew of it's fragility, and with that it found strength. Because though it could be broken, it could also be pieced back together. And that is how he viewed Marianna. She was his porcelain doll.

That wasn't the only attribute of her that fascinated him though. Time and time again he remembered her telling him fascinating and descriptive tales that only brought his heart closer and closer to overflowing with affection. He could see the same feelings within her eyes as well. They were meant for each other...

"Marianna, I'd like for you to tell me a story."

"A story?" He light melodic laughter filled his ears and echoed through the night. Their hands were clasped firmly, and they sat beneath the night's stars on the grass fresh with dew. Benedict had told her before not to sit, that they could find a bench, but Marianna had waved him off and risked soiling her dress.

"Yes, a story. Your maids tell me you have a way with words. I'd like to be enlightened with that way..."

"Well..." She giggled as he leaned closer, then turned and faced him. "If I do, you have to listen closely and commit yourself to this story. No wandering thoughts, no straying eyes, you have to be committed."

"I will, my lady." He took her hand and lifted it to his lips, where he placed a soft kiss on her knuckles. She suprised him by pulling her hand away and crossing her arms.

"Don't flatter me, Benedict. Right now I'm not your lover. I'm a wise mentor, and you my naive apprentice. Can you handle that?"

A light chuckle shook his shoulders, but he looked into her eyes and nodded. "Of course."

"Well then," she smoothed her dress and she sat cross legged before him. "I shall tell you my tale." And in an instant her voice changed from the sixteen year old daughter of wealth to that of a gypsy. An artisan with years and years of drawing the attention of those who pass by with the alluring mysteriousness her eyes and voice were strangely misted with.

"It is man's only wish to be free of the pretentious orders of their lords. Wealthy men or women with enough self entitlement to forge the element of arrogance itself. Our Lord, our God saw these people, and he was ashamed of his creation. His people were tortured by these men and women who sought the power to hold the Earth within their palm, so He founded the one thing He knew would relieve them of such torture. Thus the seven seas were created. Bodies of water that crashed together unbridled, violently thrashing with anger at the monstrosity man had turned into. At first it was because the seven seas were ignorant of those good, with whole hearts, but as man began to build their vessels to sail the monstrous sea, the waters calmed. As man finally boarded their vessels, the sea finally saw the kindness of those aboard. Young sailors, both man and woman, for freedom calls to all who desire it, boarded these vessels and let the waters taste their hearts.