Chapter Seven~An Ambitious Plan

Benedict Barnes had been pacing the room he was currently situated in for the past three hours.

There was still no sign of his betrothed, Marianna Bennett. Where could she have disappeared to? Why had she left him at the alter? It made him feel ashamed of himself, so ashamed. He couldn't even wed himself a wife, how in the world did he expect himself to become the Commodore?

He was too ambitious, he knew. Too excited to prove himself worthy for the role in the British Navy. Benedict wanted to be like his father, the perfect man for any job. He had always been told that he was sculpted for the dangerous endeavors the sea would bring to him, and that he was meant to survive for a greater purpose.

That purpose being to rid the Caribbean of the dastardly pirates that roamed the seas in search of coin. He wanted them all gone. Of course, dead would be better though. Yes, dead would be much better. Then he wouldn't have to worry about impending attacks on his home. Then he wouldn't have to worry if they were the reason Marianna had so suddenly disappeared.

Yes, it was the first thing that crossed his mind when he realized that she was a no show to the wedding. When she was declared missing, his suspicions intensified. With the wedding abandoned, he had investigated Marianna's chambers for any sort of clue that might lead him to her. The only thing he had found though, was a chunk of her auburn curls in one of the drawers to her dresser. What meaning did the clump of hair have? Why was it there in the place of his beloved?

He assumed it was a ransom note from whoever had taken her. A very subtle, and mysterious ransom note. Who ever had taken her would be demanding for her dowry, surely, and all the coin it offered.

Ambitious pirates, he thought to himself. At this moment, as he paced, he clutched the one thing Marianna had left behind. Benedict lifted the silken hair to his nose, inhaling the sweet perfume she seemed to emanate whenever in his presence. There was no doubt that he had fallen deeply in love with the young girl. What caused most men to turn tail and bolt for the hills, caused him to plant his foot firmly to the spot and stay right where he was. Marianna had guts, and she wasn't afraid to voice her opinion. Even more so when it came to sailing, and he loved it when she proved him wrong.

After she had revealed her keen interest in the vessels of the sea, he had begun taking her to the harbor more often. By the way she tilted her head back, and embraced the wind, he could tell that she relished the call of the sea. He adored her for it. It was hard not to when he had heard so many complaints from his fellow sailors, each telling of how their wives would shake their heads in disgust at the thought of the sea. They treated it as if sailing was a sin, but Benedict knew that Marianna treated it as if it were her God.

Marianna... Thoughts of his beloved tore at him from the inside out. He missed her terribly, and the two weeks since her disappearance had ravaged him awfully. Not once did he not have a scout searching for her. Often he would search for her himself, but to no avail. Eventually they realized she wasn't in Kingston, and they took to the seas.

There was still no sign of Marianna.

And that made his mental strain increase. He promised to himself that when they found her, he would pick her up in his arms and kiss her so passionately that-

There was a knock at his door, and all thoughts ceased.

"Come in." He called clearly, an essence of authority to his voice. The door to his study opened widely to reveal one of the soldiers outfitted in the red coat of the Navy.

"There has been a ship sighted to the South. It is approaching the harbor, you may wish to investigate this ship as well."

He gave a curt nod, waving the soldier away.