Beau whispered, "Pop, would you wait here and listen?"

The older man nodded, "Be my pleasure, son. Shall I turn on the record function of my phone?"

Beau grinned, "Yeah, Pop, do that for me and stand here just outside the door. Show me, Rowdy, while we walk, fill me in on what's been happenin'."

***

By the time they reached the nurse's office Beau was ready to bring the whole school down. However, knowing Kaylee needed his support, he took a deep breath to calm himself before entering the room.

The way big tears filled Kaylee's eyes when her father's figure filled the doorway, almost shattered him. Kaylee was tough, she seldom complained about anything, yet here she was crying.

Topper stood giving Beau the space on the cot. Beau sat on the cot and pulled the teen into his arms and held her close.

"Daddy, my head and throat hurts really bad, I'm not pretending, I promise. Can I go home, please?" Kaylee's voice came out barely a whisper.

Beau winced and pushed the damp hair from her forehead. "Oh, baby. You're on fire."

Kaylee buried her face into his neck, "It hurts, daddy."

"I know, sweetheart. Don't worry, we're gonna take care of everything. Don't you worry," and kissed her firey forehead.

***

Yancy stood outside the office and listened to the angry voices drifting into the hall.

"I told you it was a bad idea to hire that nurse, Amanda! Those people aren't as easy to control as you thought!"

"Don't worry, Ed. I'll handle it. We won't have to worry about her attitude and refusal to follow orders much longer. I've just been waiting for the right situation so I can fire her for insubordination, unprofessionalism and poor work ethic. Add all that to not following orders and pandering to certain kids and she'll be lucky to teach the filthy little brats on the reservation."

Yancy felt sick as the Superintendent, principal and teacher spoke about the nurse. He grabbed his phone and texted Rowdy with an update.

***

In the nurse's office Rowdy showed Beau the text. Beau nodded his understanding.

Rowdy smiled, "Ms. Sarah, would you give me your fax number, please?"

In a few moments the requested paperwork came through. He gave the application to the young nurse and asked that it be completed and faxed back to his office on the ranch. "We'll keep it on file, I'd like you to keep us in mind when you change jobs."

The nurse's eye went wide, "Are you serious?"

Beau nodded, "We are... I think you know things aren't going to be smooth sailing for you here."

She nodded sadly, "Yes. I believe parents should be notified when their child is ill. That's part of my job."

"Yes, it is. The umm, administrator doesn't see it that way?"

She shook her head, "Certain privileges for certain people."

"We'd like to see you for an interview so don't wait long. You just call Topper and he'll schedule a day and time."

***

Yancy was pacing outside the office like a caged tiger when the 3 men returned with the kids. Beau couldn't help the satisfaction he felt at the wary looks his foreman was receiving from the teacher and administrator.

The look on Yancy's face worsened the moment he saw Kaylee wrapped in a warm blanket. Beau held her tight in his arms, and looked just as furious as Yancy felt.

"Pop's, Topper is taking Kaylee and me to the ER by chopper, would you gather the necessary paperwork to remove the kids from school? Rowdy, will you wait and take Pop's and Kyle home?"

Yancy and Rowdy both nodded, "Sure thing, son. Any calls you want one of us to make?"

Beau nodded, "Rowdy, would you call Dr. Cox and let her know we're comin'. Nurse Sarah was already on the phone with Rachel when we left." He turned back to Mrs. Rigger and the others, "You'll be hearing from my attorney soon."

On the way to the hospital, Beau and Topper discussed withdrawing both Kyle and Kaylee from the school.

"We have enough kids on the ranch to warrant setting up a school like we've talked about before. Hire an accredited teacher or two, we have several children with special needs. Maybe one could be a special ed teacher, add a nurse to make it complete." Beau said as Topper piloted the ranch chopper.

Yancy was looking at the resume the nurse had given Rowdy as they left the school. "Well now, would ya look at this. Our little school nurse also has a degree in Special Education." He grinned and looked at his son.

"Aren't there a couple of teachers among the ranch hands wives?" Rowdy asked.

"Yeah, the new ferrier got married just before he came on board. I think I heard him askin' around about the distance to some of the local schools and if there any open positions." Rowdy answered as Beau called to let them know of their arrival.

"Let's call a meeting and discuss this. If we think we can work out the kinks, we can take it to the ranch community."

Topper sat the copter down softly. It always amazed Beau how easily Top handled the machine. The younger man ran around and opened the door allowing Beau to step gently onto the ground and took his daughter into his arms. An hour and 1/2 later, they took a sleeping and now cooler Kaylee home complete with several medications for severe strep throat, as well as sinus and ear infections. The on call ER physician kept Kaylee on IV fluids, antibiotic and pain and fever reducer until her temperature dropped to under 100 degrees. She was to be kept home until the temp stayed under 99 degrees and the strep was cleared. The doctor made it a point to call the school nurse....then the Superintent, then the president of the school board and finally, the Board Of Education.