She shook her head, "Don't know. The Vice Principal said he tried calling Beau and Drina, but he can't get through."

"Beau, and Topper took the copter out to the far north pasture to check out some cougar tracks and probably has the phone on silent," He took the phone, "Kincaid here."

The vice principal said in his soft voice, "Mr. Kincaid, I'm sorry to have to call you when you're so busy, but you are the first emergency contact. Would you come to the school please. Your nephew is in the office and... Well, it's best if you see for yourself. It seems he has pranked his homeroom teacher and has been very rude and disrespectful."

'That's not like Kyle to behave that way. Something's not right.' he thought, then to the VP, "I'll be there within the hour."

***

Rowdy walked into the principal's office to find Kyle sitting across from Mrs. Rigger the Superintendent, the principal Mr. Smart and Mr. Smidgen, the latter's face marked with black ink.

Rowdy felt his lips twitch with barely suppressed laughter. Putting on a straight face he walked to his nephew and placed a hand on the teen's shoulder.

"You okay there, Ringo?"

Kyle nodded, "Yeah. I'm good, but Kaylee's not. We'll both be better when you handle this jer- uh guy." He pointed to his teacher who glared right back at him.

Confused Rowdy turned to Mrs. Rigger, "You mind explainin' to me why Kyle's in here with all three of you?"

Mr. Smidgen scoffed, "Because his sister tried playing sick, then he tried to help her pull it off and get out of class. I know a sick kid when I see one. That girl, is not sick... at least not physically." The insinuation was clear.

Rowdy looked him dead in the eyes, "Kaylee's not that type of girl, and Kyle would definitely not lie about something like this. She broke her wrist last year when Nugget threw her, and still made it through riding practice before I noticed something was off. She's the type to hide how sick or injured she is. Kaylee's just as tough as her ol' man. So if she says she's sick I believe her."

Mr. Smidgen rolled his eyes, "Of course you would. Are you saying I would lie about one of my students? That's preposterous."

Rowdy narrowed his eyes, "I said no such thing, however; I am interested in that mask of yours."

Mr. Smidgen stiffened, "That...!"

Rowdy coughed and looked out the window to hide his grin.

Mrs. Rigger sighed, "Mr. Kincaid, this is not a laughing matter."

Rowdy sighed, "I beg to differ, Mrs. Rigger. However, while I was on my way, the school nurse called Kyle's father, who in turn called me. It seems Mr. Smidgen here refused to allow my niece to see the nurse when she and my nephew both made the request. That is the right of every student."

Mrs. Rigger narrowed her eyes, "That, Mr. Kincaid, is not the problem here. The issue is the disrespect and the prank your nephew pulled on his homeroom teacher. Besides, there is no proof Miss Blanton is ill."

Rowdy crossed his strong arms, "Kyle, did you put ink on Mr. Smidgen's glasses?"

Kyle nodded, "Yes, sir."