Chapter Eight- A Lowe Down Dirty Shame

You feel like an idiot. Standing in front of her door, fist raised, poised to knock. But she had never said that your Thursday night movie tradition would continue once she had moved out. Though, you think, can it be called a tradition after two months?

She left before you had woke this morning, leaving you a post-it on your forehead. 'Sorry for getting plastered and having to crash in your bed. Lyds x'.

Not that you had minded the getting plastered, or her crashing in your bed. She had fallen asleep pretty quickly, one hand tucked under the pillow, the other balled up in the hem of the shirt she slept in. It was folded up, and sat on your dresser, and when you lifted it, it smelt of her perfume. You had stood like an idiot this morning, and now here you were, repeating your actions.

Bite the bullet, Mariano. She's just a friend, and you're just hanging out.

You knock.

She pulls open the door and a grins breaks her fave when she sees you. She starts to laugh and holds out her phone in her palm. You see your own contact details.

"Great minds." She smiles. "I was just about to call you. Can't have Thursday Movie Night without you. Get in here. I've a pizza ordered."

"You know your elevators broke, right?" You try to sound casual. Not like you're happy (thrilled?) that she was planning on inviting you over tonight.

"Yeah." She joins you on the couch and hands you a beer. "They say it should be fixed by next weekend. But I kinda like being forced to use the stairs. You're supposed to exercise, you know."

"That's what I hear." You smirk. "So what's the movie for tonight?"

She smiles and sits up on her knees. "It's a good one."

"Do I have to guess?"

"No, but you will like it." She reaches behind her and pulls a DVD out of a bag beside the couch. "I rented 'Die Hard'." She laughs, waving the box. "You all were so shocked I'd never seen it, so I figured we'd give it a try." She shrugs. "It better be good."

"You won't be disappointed. Hey can I ask you something? About last night?"

"Did I snore? Or sing? Or kick you?"

"No. You sing in your sleep?"

"Sometimes." She nods. "So, what about last night?"

"You and Mathew?" You had been thinking about it all day. She had slept with your best friend. And you didn't know how you felt about it.

"Me and Math, what?"

"You slept together?" You question.

She took it as a statement. "What? Last night? How drunk was I?"

"No. Last night you said you had slept together."

"Oh, okay. Yeah, we have. Once. When I was nineteen. Freshman year. Sleeping with Mathew was my wakeup call that my lifestyle wasn't exactly healthy."

"Okay." You nod and give her a small smile.

"It didn't mean anything. I mean, to me, sex can be just sex. You know? Yes, when you're in love it's incredible, I said that last night, right? But if not, it's just sex."

"I get that." You smile, not fully understanding why she's explaining herself to you.

"Good. I decided that I needed to be by myself after that. I'd been someones girlfriend for so long I'd forgotten how to be Lydia."

"Mathew was the last person you slept with?"

"No." She shook her head, standing up to put the DVD in the player. "I dated one guy after that, but it didn't work out. He was in love with someone else. A French model. Male model called Jean Luc. They are in a very committed relationship now. They live in Paris."

"You slept with a gay guy?" You smirk.

"Hey!" She laughs, "I didn't know he was gay. Now can we watch the movie?"

"Sure."

"Good." She presses play and sinks back into the couch.

"This sucks." She complains forty minutes later, her legs draped over yours. "I'm changing it."

"You can't change it!" You tell her as she walks to the TV and switches the DVD for a new one.

"Yes, I can. My apartment, my rules." She smiles, crashing back down beside you. "Now. A true classic. 'Oxford Blues' with the very very lovely Rob Lowe."

"A Lowe fan?"

"God yes. I never missed an episode of 'The West Wing'. Even after he left. But thankfully, he is now in 'Brothers and Sisters'.

"Freak. I didn't think anyone actually was a Rob Lowe fan. And if they were, they kept it quiet."

"Well, I am. And I'm not ashamed!" She grins, pressing play again. "And you will love this."

"Whatever, but I'm picking the next three movies."

"Well, I'm vetoing any 'Die Hard' movies." She raises an eyebrow and places her legs back over yours.

"Your apartment, your rules." You smirk.

"You're a quick study, Mariano, I like that. Now shhh." She holds her index finger to her lips and then points to the screen.

You smile and run your hand over her knee. You could get very used to her rules, and you think that should scare you more than it does.

Because it doesn't scare you at all.