The Ruins of Gala

It took us two more days to reach Gala. The ruins were located along rocky cliffs overlooking the vast ocean. The original people had abandoned the site many years before it was named Gala and no one knew why. During the past couple of hundred years, it had become a central hub for criminals and ruffians from all over the continent.
"What is your contact's name again," Varian asked uneasily as he dismounted the horse.
"Terrin," I grunted," Ready?"
Varian nodded his head but I noticed a veiled look of apprehension aimed at the foreboding crumbled structures.
"Listen, Varian, if you want, to you can stay here and guard the camp."
"Thanks, but no. I'm going with you. I want to see what else there is outside Corona." Varian took a deep breath and began walking. I followed and soon we reached the gates. There were no guards positioned at the entrance but I could feel the eyes of those around us. They didn't show their faces and I was careful to not stare too long at any particular person.
"Varian, don't tell them anyone who I am unless I confirm they are the contact," I let my hand swing within easy reach of my knife," I don't want to attract unnecessary attention."
"Got it, Your Highness," he whispered. I directed us into the nearest pub and we took a seat at the bar.
"Your Hi- er... Miss... I can't drink."
"Don't worry, I'm not ordering us anything, just talk with me and keep your ears open. If you hear something, let me know." We sat there for a long while our smiles gradually shifting from forced to genuine.
"Your joking!" I giggled," Your Dad got caught up in the trap you set for the mice?! How would he even fit in it?"
"It was a complex mouse trap," Varian smirked and I sighed in content. It was strange, even though we were surrounded by criminals and thugs, I felt more at ease than I had in the past few months. Varian was about to launch into a new story about an experiment, but I suddenly went ridged. There, across the room was Terrin, and he was hanging up Anti-Northern Isle posters. I gripped Varian's shoulder,"Don't make it obvious but I just saw my contact over there." I pointed to the farthest wall.
"What? Where?" Varian asked slowly turning around.
"Over there to the right. He's hanging up the Anti-North posters." I watched as Varian's eyes scanned the room until they landed on Terrin.
"He's our contact, right? We should go over to him, shouldn't we?"
I gulped,"Y-yeah." I forced my legs to move. Terrin had always intimidated me when I was younger and I had relied on my sister to keep him at bay. He now sat in the corner, starting up a loud conversation with another person who clearly had no idea who he was.
"Excuse me, are these seats taken?" I asked, gesturing to two open seats at his table. The stranger gave me and Varian a strange look but waved us over. I took a place right next to Terrin and Varian sat to my left.
"So, it's not everyday I get three strangers sitting with me," the man commented," Where are all of you from?"
"Cor-OW!!!" I kicked Varian under the table," C-Coram, uh yeah Coram."
"I've lived my life in Gala," Terrin said," How about you?" He directed the question to me.
"I'm traveling with my friend here," I lied," we're both from Coram." Terrin eyed me and very suddenly got up saying he needed to use the bathroom. When he returned I felt him slip a piece of paper into my palm. I turned to him and stared. He gave no signal that he knew who I was or what information he gave to me, but I felt some tension in my gut release. I still had friends and allies even with thousands of miles separating us.
     "Varian, I just noticed the time," I said," We should be leaving."
     "Oh, uh yes, your Highness. Good bye," he said and got up as well. I went ridged and dared a look at the stranger's face. Terrin also went stock still all except for a hand that moved a little closer to his knife and fork.
     "Highness?" The stranger raised an eyebrow,"So there's a "Your Highness" here?"
     "Run," I breathed and Varian and I bolted, the stranger instantly up and shouting. He was tackled by Terrin and the entire place erupted into a brawl. Varian and I scrambled over and under tables as glass shattered and hands reached out to grab us. I held onto Varian as he lead the way, my note still in my hand. We were almost at the exit when a hulking figure blocked the doorway. He easily reached down and picked up Varian. I was thrown several feet and I slipped the note into my back pocket. The knife I was saving for my sister was going to get some use before I it her I thought.
     "Well, well, we'll. If it isn't a little princess out of her castle" purred a smooth voice from behind the person holding Varian up in the air. Varian was shouting, furiously clawing at the arms that held him aloft in the air. I watched as a woman with bright red hair emerged. She moved with a predatory grace and a feline grin on her lips.
     "The only questions left are which Princess are you and how much money I can get off your head." The woman approached me and I slashed at her with my knife, the blade cutting a bright red river of blood to flow down her arm. She recoiled and growled. I felt the stares of everyone around us and hushed whispered floated like little sparks around us.
     "That's Lady Caine."
     "Who is that?"
     "My bet is on Lady Caine."
     She punched at me again and I threw my body to the right, but she caught my hood. My cloak was ripped off and before I could do anything, the truth of my identity lay bare. The posters tacked onto the walls, the snow white hair in the photo matching with my own, the ice blue eyes, and pale skin marking me as the lost Queen of the Northern Isles. Lady Caine stood in shock and I could not move fast enough. I bolted for the exit and was almost out the door when Varian called out for me. His captor grinned, his sickly looking teeth glinting in the low light.
     "Hypatia!!! HELP ME!!!" I hesitated. Freedom lay tantalizingly close, but Varian was still inside. I looked down at my knife and at the mountain of armor Varian's captor was wearing.
     "RUN, HYPATIA !!!" Shouted Terrin from he depths of the building and I did. I ran. I ran as fast I could, away from Gala and from Varian screaming for me to come back.