Eyes widening, Emily straightened up. "What do you mean inappropriate?"

"The first time we met, he proclaimed he would like to introduce me to the usual pleasures of society and that a lady ought to have an escort when her husband abandons her to her own company. He visited when I was at-home with Henrietta and said I was not myself for admiring a book character's faithfulness."

"That does not seem too awful," Emily said slowly. "But his tone and manner must have had something to do with it, for I have never known you to take offense over nothing."

"He implied my husband was cruel and strict when I said I wished to be by Evan's side. He also said I had far too little experience to know my own mind on the matter."

Emily's jaw dropped. "He didn't!"

"That, coupled with his behavior, the flowers he sent, and just the whole situation, I found to be highly unsettling. My new friend, Mrs. Landon, was helpful in keeping him from me, but with Henrietta insisting he is harmless and he somehow being at every event I attended, I found him near me far too often than I was comfortable with."

For a moment, there was silence. "And how did Evan take it?" Emily asked.

"At first, he took no notice, but by the Burnham ball, he was annoyed," Rosalind said, the evening fresh in her mind. "I believe he described Mr. Rowley as a repugnant, impertinent toad."

"And here I thought Lord Evan was friends with everyone he met." Emily shook her head. "I cannot imagine having to deal with such a distasteful person. What kind of mischief did he think to cause with such behavior?"

"Given that the last time I saw him, he was with Mrs. Fisher, I can only imagine the two think to cause me pain," Rosalind said quietly, giving voice to a fear she'd been trying to hide. "But I cannot think what I could have done to draw their attention."

Emily shook her head. "Well, hopefully now that you are not there, they will find someone else to annoy."

"One can only hope." Though Rosalind at all sure she had that much hope.

****

"And how was your cousin this afternoon?" Evan asked as his valet helped him into his evening jacket. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

Though the question was similar to Emily's Rosalind couldn't think of any hidden meaning behind her husband's query. "He was distracted," she said honestly. "He says the estate has been keeping him busy. I think he is finding it more work than he thought it would be."

With a nod, Evan dismissed the valet and then walked over to the dressing table. "Busy with the estate? That is a change. I hope it keeps him out of trouble and the influence of his usual friends."

Ingram finished arranging her mistress' hair. "Thank you, Ingram. That will be all," Rosalind said, approving of her appearance in the mirror. "Evan, I believe Percival is trying hard to be a proper master of his estate and I am proud of him for that."

"As well he should. With any luck, his previous habits will not pull him away. It will be a shame if Emily is forced to watch her childhood home deteriorate and fall to ruin."

Surprised, Rosalind twisted around to face him. "Why, Evan. It's sweet of you to take an interest in my cousin's feelings."

"How could I do otherwise? If Emily becomes upset, you will be upset as well, and I will not have that," Evan said, his tone matter-of-fact. "I know you both too well to think anything else would happen."

"What a romantic you are." Rosalind shook her head. "And what if Percival had good reason to leave the estate? What if the repairs needed were beyond what he could manage or afford to provide? Do you think I would be upset on Emily's behalf if such were the case?"

Evan eyed her with suspicion. "Why do I get the feeling that is a trick question?"

"It isn't meant as a trick." Rosalind moved to him and ran her hands over the superfine cloth of his jacket. "I want to know what you think. Honestly. Do you believe I blindly agree with Emily on everything?"

"Now I know there is more to that question."

Sighing, Rosalind let her hands fall down. "Percival accused me of carrying tales to Emily about the estate. I felt as though he were implying I was not capable of acting or thinking for myself."

"Well, I always considered him to be a short-sighted sort of man," Evan said, reaching out to her. He caught her shoulders. "Why does his opinion bother you? Because Rowley said the same thing?"

How had he guessed? "I suppose so," Rosalind said reluctantly. "If it were only one person saying so, I could easily brush it aside. But when there is several..."

"As your husband, I can tell you they both are wrong," Evan said firmly. "How many times has Emily tried to sway you to her way of thinking, and you told her she was wrong? How often did you advise her to behave more as a lady ought to behave? How often did you tell her to mind her manners?"

"Far more often than I ought to have done." Rosalind couldn't help but smile as she thought of the years she'd spent with her cousin. "You're right. I shouldn't take those words to heart, but I cannot help it when I hear them over and over again!"

Leaning forward, Evan pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Now that we are away from Rowley's churlish tongue and if you keep well away from Sir Percival, I think you will not have occasion to hear those words again."

"If only it were as simple as that."

Evan frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

"I didn't find any of my father's papers while I was there. Percival has permitted me to search the attic, so I will need to be at the manor to do that. It may take some time."

"You really think you're going to find something? Why? What makes this so important to you? What do you think you will learn?" Evan asked, his tone puzzled.

"I don't know," Rosalind said. "I'd like to know what my father was thinking at the time. Whether it was true he had Mrs. Fisher as his mistress. If it was true, did he know she was with child? Did he know about this young Simon Fisher, that he may be my father's son?"

"And if you do find out the truth, how does that benefit you now?"

Pausing, Rosalind shook her head. "I don't know. I'd just like to understand. Is that so terrible?"

Her husband heaved a sigh. "I suppose it isn't. I don't like to see you so worked up over something you cannot change. It is in the past. Let it go."

"If I cannot find my father's journal at Lawrence Manor, I promise I will let the matter drop. I will let the past be and stop worrying about what my father may or may not have done," Rosalind said, coming to a quick decision. "Is that fair?"

For a moment, Evan just studied her face. "It's fair, but are you sure you can hold up your end? I know how you cannot help but worry about...well, everything. Will you be able to put this behind you if you cannot find the answer you want?"

His serious question made Rosalind pause for a moment. "I may not forget it, but I will not keep searching for answers."

"Close enough," Evan said. His usual smile returned to his face as he took his wife's hand into his. "Now. Let's not keep our hosts waiting, although I'm sure they know how to keep themselves amused."

"Evan!" Rosalind slapped his arm. "Behave yourself."

"My dear, I am the epitome of a perfect gentleman. I always behave myself."

As she walked to the door, Rosalind glanced over her shoulder at him. "My dear, just because you keep saying something, doesn't make it true."