Untitled Part 1

"How bad does it look?" he asked, smiling up at me.

My tears were falling as I sheltered him from the heavy rain that fell endlessly . "It's nothing, just a scratch."

He tried to laugh, clutching his stomach. "You just saved us all..."

"Not all," I trembled." You must believe me that I would have come back for you, if there was time."

"You did come back for me," he looked away. "If you remember after you visit Earth, do you promise you will find my body and revive me?"

"I promise." I reluctantly brushed my fingers through his muddy, wet hair and kissed his forehead. "Thank you."

He smiled at me. I can't believe he was still smiling. Maybe even now he's still smiling, under all the mud, I left him in. I wore a coat of guilt as I trekked back to the shuttle. Everyone knew it was my responsibility to care for Dhaepholl- the only man to break the chain of ignorance that haunted Xephus. I knew I would be kicked out for letting it all happen. Honestly, I didn't care.

I had to leave him in the end. It took me a while, but I left him beside a rock in the mud. I sacrificed my favourite jacket to attempt and save himself from sinking into his fate. I knew he would be fine. His motorcycle got me 60 miles in the mud, which took a day and a half of breaking down and getting stuck, but it saved me a lot. Eventually, I got to dryland and sat on a bank, overviewing the warzone. Bodies everywhere. I sighed and lay down. My hair was crusty, my clothes were ripped and I had cuts and wounds in every available limb, but I was alive. I didn't want to be and I certainly wasn't meant to be, but I was sure I would keep my promise. I pointed my gun to the clouds, and let out 3 weak bangs. There, I would wait, until they found me.