Chapter One

My last name is Gilbert which means a lot of things to this town. Not only am I related to one of the founding families of Mystic Falls, related to Elena Gilbert first soon to be female doctor of our family, I'm also the girl whose parent's died last year in a car accident. The same one who older sister miraculously survived.
To the vampires, the last name Gilbert was also familiar to them. Not only am I related to one of the founding families who use to hunt down and kill vampires, my sister, Elena is the doppelgänger. The one that broke the curse of the sun and the moon or so they thought. In reality, Klaus could use her blood to create a whole werewolf/vampire hybrid army. Freaky, right?

For me, there was a price for being a Gilbert.

After writing in my journal early one Monday morning before school, I grabbed my bookbag and walked down the stairs. I was greeted by Jenna who was currently burning up some scrambled eggs, Jeremy by the looks of it was already gone, and Elena was making out with Stefan in the living room. Ugh, could they get a room with a door?

Stefan pulled away for a moment, not taking his eyes off of his girlfriend. "Anastasia, I could give you a ride to school if you want," he offered just like he did every other morning, "Its right on the way to the college Elena goes to."

I rolled my eyes and said what I tell him every morning, "No thank you."

"Good. More time for the two of us to spend together," Elena smiled before standing up on her tiptoes to makeout with Stefan some more.

There was a loud, honking sound.

"Oh shit that's the bus," I cussed racing out the front door. Luckily I made it just in time. The bus driver, Mrs. Dee who is as old as the ground we stand on, scowled at me as I took a seat next to my best friend, Ian.

Ian Summers is the quarterback on our Mystic Falls Football team. He has all of the girls pining over him. He is tall and lean besides his broad chest and shoulders. He has shaggy brown hair, eyes a shade darker, thick lashes, and red lips. He's gorgeous, but Ian and I aren't like that. I'm the only one who knows that he's gay.

"How are you doing, sleeping beauty?" he asked me. He likes to call me "sleeping beauty" because I almost always fall asleep on the bus.

"Great, jackass," was my reply.

He chuckled and shook his head. "You're so feisty," he said, "if only we didn't have the same type, I would've made you mine in a heartbeat."

"Ew," I made a face. His shoulders shook from laughter.

Sure enough I was asleep after five minutes. Ian was the one to wake me up once we go to school. We actually had first period together, orchestra. I play the violin and he can rock the timpani or kettle drums. I wanted to do the piano this year, and I tried out for it, but this one girl Taylor Pierre ended up getting the part. She's pretty, very likeable, and I hate to say it, but she's really good at the piano. I hate her for it, and she loves to rub it in my face.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Never."

In orchestra we prepared for a concert at the town square for our summer examination which means that we were very busy. I quickly got lost in the music.

After orchestra, there was Spanish Four, Statistics, lunch, and then English. This was my last year of high school, and it felt like it was going by so far. I had already gotten accepted into three different colleges Columbia in New York, Virginia Tech, and George Mason. Jenna and my sister really wanted me to stay in the state, but I've always wanted to live in New York. Its been my dream for a long time now. I would play the piano at weddings while attending school, and I would be far away from Mystic. My name Anastasia Gilbert wouldn't mean anything to anybody. I would have a fresh start, and make a new life there.

Of course I would constantly be worrying about my sister, Elena due to her doppelgänger status and Jeremy who has been known from time to time to turn to drugs to deal with everything going on, but there's always a price to pay.

After school, I was had the whole house to myself. Elena was probably with Stefan, who knows where Jeremy ever is, and Aunt Jenna is a realtor so she's still off working. I decided to grab a bowl of cherries and while eating them, I did my homework on the couch. I was interrupted when my phone started to ring. It was an unfamiliar number.

"Hello," I said very slowly.

"Hi, Anna , this is Tyler Lockwood," he said.

"Well, Tyler how did you get my number?"

"I got it from Jeremy. I was wondering if you could come outside for a second. I need your help," he replied.

"You need my help with what?"

"You'll see when you come out here," he hung up. Curiously, I walked outside leaving the front door open a little bit. Tyler was acting weird, but in a small town like ours I didn't even think to be cautious. I've known Tyler since forever. I know almost everybody who lives here, and not in a creepy way.

Outside, it was sunny and very humid. I spotted Tyler across the street standing next to his brand new silver Mercedes. Tyler is kind of hot kind of not. He's short and stocky with short black hair, olive skin, and brown eyes. I began to cross the street and make my way towards him.

It wasn't until I got towards the middle of the road that I noticed the grim expression on his face like somebody had died.

"Tyler, what is wrong?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, anna. This is nothing personal," he exclaimed.

It was then that it happened. A large black car whipped around the corner and came barreling towards me at top speed. There was no time for me to move out of the way. It was going to hit me.

And it did.