chapter two

You thought about what Vision said the day before, and decide to attempt understanding a little more. Your dad seemed to have gotten along with him...well, before the conflict began. A good starting point is talking to him. So you were on your way to ask him something you've been wondering about since breakfast this morning.

"Stark...Mr. Stark...uh.."
He chuckles. "Tony."
"Tony, I was wondering, what am I going to do? When school starts again, I mean."
He thinks for a moment. "What grade are you in?"
"Um..." you have to think for a moment. "Ninth, I guess."
"Oh, you like science, right? I've seen the posters you got."
You nod.
"Well, I know the perfect school. Hey, kid, I have to go work on something downstairs. I'll see you later, okay?"
"Yeah." That wasn't as difficult as you had thought it would be.

You lay on a tan sofa, enjoying the first down time you've had in a while. Vision quickly hovers into the room and sits on the other couch.
"Would you like to play?" He offers, motioning to the chess board on the table between the couches.
"Sure," you shrug. "I suck at it, though. My mom and I could never figure out the rules."
"Well, I'll help you with that. Now that Wanda is gone, I have no chess partner."
"So, how do you play?"
Vision points to the white pieces in front of you.
"This is the king, the queen, the bishops, knights, rooks, and pawns."
"Okay."
"Your king is the most important. If I capture it, I win."
"Got it."
"Basically, each piece has its own limit of how many it can travel in one move. The king can only move one, the queen can move as far in one direction as she can without bumping one of your other pieces, the bishops can move as far as they want but only diagonally, the knights can move two places and then one more (like an "L"), rooks can move as far as you want but not diagonally, and finally, pawns only move forward and only one space (except for the first round, when they can move two). Do you understand?"
"Sort of," You shrug. "That's a lot of rules. Let's just play, I'll figure it out as we go."

[one hour later...]

"Yes! I win!" You gloat. Vision smiles slightly. "Wait...did you let me win?"
"Well, I thought you could use some cheering up."
"No. Rematch, now." You don't need anyone to pity you like that.
"All right."

[another hour later...]

"I'm sorry," Vision apologizes for winning.
"For what? That was fun. Don't worry, I'll win next time...without you going easy on me."
"So you will still play chess with me?"
"Of course. Why wouldn't I?"
"Well, people don't usually enjoy such small chances of winning," He speaks nonchalantly. "I'm, naturally, very good at...well...most things."
"Why?"
He points to a gem in the center of his forehead.
"What is that?" You inquire.
"It's an infinity stone. It holds mind powers. It is what gives me life. It also makes me...somewhat of a genius."
"Huh." You admire the stone in his head, thinking it's the strangest thing you'll ever see.