Letting You Go Was The Hardest Thing - Chapter Eleven

Start from the beginning

* * *

The smell of cigarettes, alcohol, and provocation was dense as I entered the club. It was a scene I've grown accustomed to, an escape from something real, like reality. I welcomed it like a man embraces his lover tightly. Above all, I'd rather be here than being at home with my perfect family.

             My eyes wandered through the sea of dancing bodies, looking for that familiar face. When my eyes landed on a black mop of hair, with Asian features at the bar, I grinned with sheer amusement. I have to roll my eyes because he was busy groping some brunette's ass.

          That's Honjo Tanaka for you, my best buddy.

         I met Honjo a few years back, the time when I dropped out college. I got into a fight in a bar, and was outnumbered. Honjo was at the corner drinking his beer, looking like the epitome of boredom. I guess he thought the fight was unfair, so the Japanese descent Yakuza stepped in the fight, and said, “Since the fight is pretty much unfair, I might as well kill my boredom with joining in the fun. Now come pretty boys, show me what you got,” and then he winked at me.

          Though he was such a cornball, we became good friends after that fight. From there, I was introduced to the world of gangs and mafias, thanks to Honjo. After all, he's got connections from being the son of a Yakuza lord.

           "Yo, Honjo!" I yelled as loud as I could to get his attention.

     However, the man hoe was too distracted. Really, really preoccupied as he whispered something on the girl's ear.

           "That bitch ass..." I mumbled under my breath.

           With a shrug, I weaved through the crowd, shoving people out of my way, growled some twerp for stepping on my foot (it hurt, okay?), and finally, I was at my destination.

          The dweeb didn't even notice my arrival. Rolling my eyes, I slapped his back really hard. He broke away from the chick like she was hot coal. Oopsies... I'm sorry. Not really.

           He let out strings of Japanese curses as he searched for the culprit, and when his eyes landed on me, he scowled.

           "Oh, it's you," he said dryly. "Do you have to slap my back, dude? Not nice."

           I laughed lightly. "I had to get your attention since..." I shifted my attention to the brunette to his side " ... you're distracted."

           Honjo's scowl turned into a grin. "You bet," he looked down at his conquest of the night. "Macy, meet my buddy Terry," then he looked at me with a wink, "Terry, Macy."

           Oh yeah, someone's getting some tonight.

          "Hey, Terry!" Macy chirped like a person high on Red Bull. Gah.

          I raked the girl's scanty ensemble; she probably left the rest of her clothes at home. I have to give her credit for being pretty, even though she was all overly done up.

          I gave her a curt nod. "Hey."

          Honjo frowned. "You okay, bro?"

          I shrugged. For some reason, I've been doing that a lot lately. "Nothing I can't handle."

          His frown deepened, forgetting the chick on his side. That's the thing about Honjo - he's very observant and cares about his friends more than himself. He would even take a bullet, or get stabbed. That's how loyal he is.

          "It's them again, huh?" he asked.

          I smiled, a bit forced if you ask me. "They got my ass out of jail, again. Got into a fight with my brother," I paused, and then heaved out a sigh. "The usual, nothing new.

          He gave me a small, sad smile. No pity, or sympathy, just that smile that it didn't seem that he felt sorry for how pathetic my life is. Honjo never gave me that look, and I'm grateful for it. He just understood, like a real friend should do. "Hey, it's going to be okay, bro," he assured.

          I nodded. "I guess."

          His somber expression became worst, as though he remembered something that he didn't want to think about. "Terry, my father's stepping down. He wants me to go back to Japan, and take over."

          I smiled, knowing what he meant. "That's great, Honj! Congratulations!"

          He sighed, his shoulders sagging. "You're not getting it."

        I frowned. What's with the long face? I thought he would be jumping for joy with the news! Honjo had waited for his father to step down, and have a chance to run the family business but now... why was he sad that he's taking over?

         "Huh?" I asked dumbly.

         He sighed. "If I go back, it means I'll be leaving you here, my wing man, alone..."

         The sap. He's being melodramatic!

          I slapped the back of his head. "You bonehead!" I told him off with a scowl. "Don't go soft on me. Go home, take over, and rock Japan. Honjo style!"

          "And you really have to hurt me, again?" he asked, rubbing the sore spot. I gave him a pointed look. "Okay, okay, geez... But dude, if things get crazy, come to Japan. I'll hook you up there."

          I chuckled, not really knowing what to say.

          "I mean it, Terry."

          I stared into my friend's pitch black eyes, and found out he was being serious. There was no humor in his eyes, just plain, I-take-no-bullshit kind of seriousness. He was the only one who really knew everything about my family and Caroline. Charlie knew half of what I went through, but the only person who knew every single thing is Honjo, and that worried him.

         Slowly, I nodded, just to appease my idiot of a friend. "Okay," I told him. "I'll keep that in mind."

     And just like that, he was back to his old, goofy self. The turd. "Awesome!" he cheered, happiness alighting his pitch black eyes. "Now let's party coz I'm leaving in the next two days."

       I could only laugh at that. God, he could drive me up the wall sometimes like a hormonal teenager, but that's Honjo. He somehow remembered the brunette he was with, so with his patent seductive smirk, he turned back to her and said, "Now, where were we?"

          Why was I friends with him again?