Chapter 20

ASHLEY’S POV

Stefan is falling apart. Damon tried to tell me that he was okay but I know that he’s slipping. I promised Lexi that I would be there for him no matter what. I would be his friend and help him get through the hard times.

I get to school and I see Stefan getting out of his old red sports car. I’ve seen it in his garage but he’s never driven it before. That’s strange behavior. I also was not expecting him to be here today.

“Nice car.” I smile at him as he walks over to me.

“Thought it was a waste to leave it in the garage.”

“I didn’t know you were coming back today.”

“You know, I woke up this morning and I was feeling great and figured it was time for me to get back into things.” He explains to me.

“Does that mean you’re okay now, with all the cravings?” I ask hesitantly.

“Yeah, I mean the worst part is over so…have you seen Elena?”

“Not yet.”

“I want to thank her…and you…for getting me through the rough patch.” He says and I smile at him.

“You’re welcome.” He nods and I start walking towards the school.

“Um, you know what?” He says and I turn back around. “I’ll catch up with you and Elena. I’m gonna grab my stuff. I’ll be right behind you.” He smiles and opens his trunk.

I nod and head towards the school. So far, so good.

***

“Okay, this week we’re gonna set outside out regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founder’s day.” Alaric starts teaching. “Apparently the community leaders feel it’s more important than World War 2 but hey, what do I know?”

I smile as Bonnie walks into the room. She’s been out of town since her Grams died. Elena and I smile at her as she takes a seat. “Sorry I’m late.” She whispers.

“Well, it looks like we will be at full occupancy today. Welcome back, Bonnie.”

Bonnie smiles at us but I notice something in her face change when her eyes land on Stefan. He smiles at her but her smile fades. Elena doesn't notice but Stefan looks at me in confusion.

Great. Something’s up.

DAMON’S POV

Liz called me down to the Founder’s hall for a secret meeting. John’s here which pisses me off because all it takes is one word from him and my cover is blown. On top of that, I’m not liking what Liz has to tell us.

“There was a disturbance at the hospital blood bank last night. Some of the supply was compromised.”

“Compromised?” I question her. “You mean stolen?”

“We almost missed it. The inventory records were altered but when the night manager was questioned he had no recollection of changing them.” She explains and I know exactly why.

Apparently so does John. “Meaning that the vampire who stole the blood used mind control to hide the theft.” He concludes my thoughts.

“I know what she meant.” I say in frustration.

“We wouldn’t have noticed had John not alerted us to recent discrepancies in other hospital blood banks in the county.” Liz says and I should have known that there was a specific reason that he was here.

“How lucky for us, we have John.” I smile sarcastically.

“We’re stepping up security at the hospital, giving the guard vervain to prevent this from happening again.” Liz says ignoring the tension.