Chapter Three

I chose the former. I tipped the bucket of water to the ground, scooped the soap and sack dress and dumped them into the now empty basin, and grabbed it up. The rustling came again, closer this time. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. The thought of going around the side of the house by the trees to get to the front was daunting to say the least. Again, an internal debate raged inside. But finally, I grounded myself and got to moving forward.

Nothing's there, nothing's there, I thought. I got to the corner of the house, right by the first string of trees. My stomach tightened. My hands started to shake as the rustle shifted a shrub nearest to me. I began to jog instead of walk. My heart squeezed into my throat. I crested the next corner but heard footfalls close behind.

"Cecily!" I cried out just as something scraped the base of my neck. My foot caught on a tree root and I went toppling to the ground. The basin flew from my grip and went rolling off to who knew where. The air rushed from my lungs as I landed on my already sore shoulder.

I turned my head just as something darker than the surroundings flew at my face from the darkness. But before it reached me, Cecily's grunts came from only a few feet away and light flooded to the edge of the tree line. I saw one of the shadow people standing over me, though it's form was wavering as I looked on. But it dropped to all fours between myself and Cecily, one of its opaque hands going up to shield its nonexistent eyes. Its form bent in on itself, folding like a piece of paper and disappearing.

"What did I say, girl?" Cecily growled, stuffing whatever light source she had used back into a stretched pocket of her skirts. "I told you to yell for me if you heard anything. Next time I won't be so quick."

"They're out here too?" I asked breathlessly. I slowly got back to my feet, eyes glued to the spot the creature had gone. I rolled my shoulder and winced, a pang of guilt successfully getting me to raise my gaze to the old woman. "I thought that there were wards or something."

She rolled her eyes, reminding me of a teenager. Interesting. "The wards do not protect the homes, only the market and palace. Quit diddling and grab your things. We have an early morning."

I huffed and gathered the forgotten basin and things. My shoulder and gash complained, but I was grateful the thing hadn't caught me after all. I got the feeling I wouldn't be sleeping much tonight anyway, but I wasn't going to disclose that. No more shadows came from the trees as we made our way to the cottage again.

"What do you all call those things?" I asked when I put my little load on the floor by the counter top. "Everett said that they were spirits, but I don't believe him."

Cecily slowly sat on the worn stool by the fireplace, a merrily crackling flame now lit and ready for warming. Her ancient gaze settled on me, making me squirm.

"He did not lie, child. They are the dead. Long dead, might I say, not the recently deceased. They are souls that have not moved on to the resting place and have slowly warped with time and hopelessness." She examined her nails while puckering her wrinkled lips. "And by the looks of it, they have a special fancy for you, girlie."

This made me uncomfortable. I looked around, unable to meet the gaze she settled back on me. "I don't know what that means, but we came across a couple down on the beach before coming to the market."

"A couple you say?" she asked. "Curious indeed. They do not usually roam in packs, as you saw outside. They usually leave people alone if they are well tempered and settled emotionally. But you have come across a couple since being here, you say. Strange. Are you emotional?"

I stared at the fire. "No. I feel...normal. Or as normal as a person can be, anyway, not that I can remember how I usually am."

"Well, in any case, we shall see how they progress with you being around them," Cecily said, closing the subject. "It is time for sleep. You will sleep there, I sleep here," she said, gesturing first to a straw pallet in the corner by the fire and tiny window, then to a short couch looking piece of furniture on the other side of the fire. I nodded and went over to my bed. The sleep dress she provided me with was soft and loose, providing some warmth with its' long sleeves. She blew out the lantern, leaving just the fire for light and warmth.