3) personality analysis

"So you're going on your first mission," said Kakashi as he and Miho sat lazily at the edge of the river, watching the sunset. "Congratulations."

"There's no need for congrats," Miho answered. "It's just a mission."

"All the same," said Kakashi simply, leaning back on the grass. "It's a bit nerve-wracking the first time, you know. I'm sure you'll be fine though—you seem to have a capable mission leader to take care of you in case you falter."

"I won't falter," said Miho flatly.

Kakashi gave a sigh at her stubbornness.

"How did it go?" he asked. "Dinner, I mean."

"It was fine," she said sullenly, disliking the turn of conversation. "We somehow got on the subject of me and my kekkei genkai—or, rather, lack of."

Miho let out a breath and lied down on the grass, staring straight up at the sky and watching as the royal purple colors blended in with the luscious pink colors emanating around some deeper-colored clouds. Kakashi seemed to understand that she'd slipped back into one of her moodier moments, for he did not attempt to continue the conversation.

This was one of the reasons why Miho liked Kakashi. He was so smart, so sensible—he knew when she did not want to talk and was perfectly fine with just staying by her, keeping her in silent yet comfortable company.

"Do you think my reason for being a shinobi is selfish?" she asked, breaking the quietness.

"…Depends," said Kakashi, his eyes closing. "I think the essence of being a ninja is to fight for the village, not for the individuals. There is always a sense of…patriotism involved."

"…So you don't think I should be a shinobi then," she said dourly.

"I never said that," said Kakashi, smiling a bit as he turned to face her, "though I must say that this topic—which you so often avidly try to avoid—is an odd one for you to bring up by yourself. Let me guess—it came up around Itachi-kun, and he, the perfect ninja who holds the village up as his greatest pride, said a few things that made you reconsider your reason for fighting."

"He didn't say anything offensive, if that's what you mean," Miho said almost defensively. "He was very polite about it—but I could tell that I'd irritated him."

"So?" said Kakashi with a bit of amusement. "I'd normally assume that you would care less if you annoyed him—change of heart, Miho? Perhaps Itachi-kun is not as bad as you thought?"

"Sempai," said Miho angrily, "don't be stupid. He's just as annoying as I made him out to be."

"I do hope your attitude will change after your mission," chuckled Kakashi. "It'd be nice if you started to like him more."

The way Kakashi had said his last sentence made Miho's eyes narrow.

"What do you mean, like him more?" she questioned. "As in a friend way? Or are you implying something else?"

Kakashi grinned from beneath his mask, his one visible eye flickering lazily.

"At least you catch on quickly," he remarked.

"I don't like Uchiha," she said coolly. "Not even in the slightest. Not even as a friend. Stop getting absurd ideas, sempai."

"It wouldn't be a bad idea if you started liking someone…perhaps a bit more than a friend," he commented, obviously not listening to her warning. "It would help with your emotional development."

"Aren't all shinobi supposed to squash out any emotions?" said Miho coldly.

"Well, yes, but I don't believe that."