Calm is Not a Word in this Garden

At breakfast Ailani suggests we continue with my sword training,

"I agree, but we will do it after lunch like yesterday. Except you must come for the morning walk, Flea missed you and hardly listened to a word I said." That was true enough I left out the fact that I had missed her company as well and was looking forward to spending another day with her. She looked slightly disenheartned when I said Flea missed her, I wonder does she want me to admit that I missed her? No matter we were out walking the garden with Flea right after breakfast.

 Unlike the other times though when Flea walked between us for purposes of him getting used to her, I put him on my left side and offered Ailani my arm like a gentleman. Her paw was large and took up almost the whole space from my elbow coming close to my wrist. It is surprisingly comforting to have it there, to be connected to her in some way. We stopped and smelled more roses than we have in past times I've noticed that she tends to pay particular attention to the white roses than to any other rose. Last night during our question game, we had learned a lot about each other we hadn't brought up families though so I asked her that now. I remember her saying her parent's relationship was not the best, my own parents love each other dearly and let it be known, what was it like growing up in a household where your parents don't love each other?

"So what was your life like, before coming here of course?" she paused will she even answer the question? I was just about to forget it for now and ask another question when she answered.

"It was...interesting, to say the least. I admit I have never spent much time with my parents I ate meals with them and came to say goodnight. The rest of the time I spent reading, fencing, and horse-riding. That just about sums up my life, very exciting isn't it?" she states the last part with bitter sarcasm. I almost feel sorry for asking almost.

"What was your life like before you stole a rose. I know you are a wood carver but what else?"

"What else? What else was there for me to do? Childhood was spent doing odd jobs around town for money and babysitting my sister, when I was older I worked in Pa's shop for free of course. When I turned eighteen I was expected to open up a blacksmith shop in another town, 'cept they all already had one. I had always been better with wood than metal so I took up wood carving. That sums up my life." For a moment we just stood there than Flea reached across me and nudged her looking for a carrot she pulled one out and fed it to him.

"Frogs, if you had told me he would be eating out of my hand before the year was up I would have called you crazy." She laughed, I smile it feels good to see her smiling she has been too serious today it is nice to see her loosen up a bit. We returned in and ate our lunch and moved on to two hours of fencing and five minutes of standing in the correct position. At dinner, we were forced by Mrs. Stevens through glares and hand gestures to go up to our rooms and change into some proper dining attire. We returned back down and resumed our seats ready to dig in I just about choked when Ailani spoke,

"What do you plan on doing when the year is up?" I choked on my drink and when I finally caught my breath

"What?" I said sounding as surprised as I feel. What does she mean when the year was up, wasn't I supposed to stay longer to repay the debt? When she first made me return here I was under the impression that I was supposed to stay here forever, the rest of my life. Earlier in the year, she had tried to get me to leave but I had pegged that down to her just trying to get me to break my end of the bargain so I would be even more in debt to her. I now know that she would never do such a thing, but why talk as if she plans on letting me go?

Chapter 18 Argument for No Good Reason

Frogs, I had surprised him too much he darn near choked to death on his drink.

"What do you mean 'what'?" I snapped, temper, temper Ailani. "You really mean to release me in a months' time?" he sounds so sad, it just about broke my heart.

"Yes, don't you want to return home?" I thought he would be happier to know he was to return home, sure I love him and I will forever be a cat and my servants will never talk again if he leaves, but we just became friends he won't fall in love with me in a month that's ludicrous!

"You stole one rose, the debt is one year of imprisonment," I explain, actually I have no idea how many years of imprisonment a stolen rose is worth, I assume none but I had made up the terms so one year it is. If he stays into the next year, I will forever be reminded of what might have been and that thought seems unbearable. Always able to be near him but never as more than a friend watch him live his life fall in love with someone else...that's too painful to think of.

"Do you want me to stay Ailani?" he asks it very quietly but loud enough so I can't act like I didn't hear him. I almost said yes, stay please stay. But I kept my mouth shut and just didn't answer. He looked at a clock,

"It's late you're tired, we're both tired. Let's head to bed early and we can discuss it in the morning."

"No discussion needed," I reply he looked up hopeful as if I might have changed my mind in five seconds. "In five days' time at the end of the month, you leave for your home." With that I got up and stalked up to my room as I turned a corner I caught sight of him sitting in his chair his mouth hanging open looking utterly bewildered. If it wasn't under such sad circumstances I would have laughed, this was the most out of sorts I have ever seen him as it was though, I just barely smiled. He seemed to get hold of himself and shook his head

"We will discuss it in the morning." He stated firmly as he walked past me to go to his room. In the morning breakfast was a silent affair and I half wonder if he convinced himself the whole thing was a dream. I determined to not bring it up until his last day. Admittedly five days was a bit before the month officially ends and the spell is sealed, Mrs. Stevens thinks that if I really do kick him out just as we are getting along and starting to like each other that it will and I quote from her writing, 'get his butt in gear and propose!' I accepted the idea because honestly, I have hope that that is exactly what will happen, if it isn't it is best to get the sting and pain of it over sooner rather than later. I will miss him very much but it will only hurt more if he continues to stay.

"I will stay for the rest of the month, and continue to stay. That is my decision."

"You will leave in four days' time that is my decision."

"I cannot leave you here, you mean too much to me," my thoughts teetered around in my head. Was I wrong, does he love me? "You mean too much to me as a friend. And I cannot leave you here alone." He finished his sentence and my heart dropped like a stone.

"I value as a friend too," and I love you "I will not have you stay here where you have no opportunity to have a life." He opened his mouth to protest looking disgruntled "A life, where you can have your own house, get married to a woman you love and have children." Gah, that was a painful sentence to say. "Also I won't be alone, I have the servants." He just sits and glares at me I refuse to meet his eyes and instead they land on the clock.

"We better head to the gardens Flea will be wondering where we are," I say briskly standing up and walking out only hesitating to make sure I could hear him walking behind me.