Chapter 1

I couldn't sleep the night I saw the meteor. For a while I just laid in my bed and let the thoughts just rush through my head. I eventually got bored of that, so I climbed onto the roof of my house. My family lived on the outskirts of the city of Jackman, right next to the forest. I like to go onto the roof, it clears my head. I sat there for a while, watching the cargo ships come in and out of orbit. I've always wondered which settlement they were heading to. I was sort of jealous, really. I always felt my purpose was out there, not on Earth. 

About a half hour later I saw it. At first I thought it was a shooting star, but it got closer and closer. I though it was going to hit the house! I ducked and covered and felt the ground shake, but nothing happened. I looked out into the woods and about 20 miles away I saw smoke. I thought "I got to check that out tomorrow!", and crawled back into my room. 

                                                                ...

I woke up that morning, the meteor from last night still fresh on my mind. I did my morning routine and went down stairs (aka the low point of my day). I walked into the kitchen, my dad and my brother Brody were sitting at the table and my psycho step-mom was cooking breakfast. I sat down. I said good morning to Brody, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. I don't blame him. I look over at Dad, who was already downing his morning dose of Jack Daniel's. He looked back. "Got a staring problem?" He asked.

I looked away. "No sir, just still trying to wake up."

"Well knock it off."

"Yes sir.."

My step-mom plopped what looked like dog food on the table. "Eat."

Brody looked at it and said "Thanks... but I think I'll have breakfast at school."

I agreed. "Yeah same here."

My step-mom's face turned red. "I SLAVED ALL MORNING TO MAKE THIS YOU UNGRATEFUL BRATS!"

Now it was Dad's turn. "YOU GUYS ARE GROUNDED! WHY DO YOU GUYS HAVE TO BE THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE?!"

Brody stood up "Why?! Because we don't want to eat shit for breakfast?! That's bull-"

Dad pinned Brody to the wall. "Now listen here you little bastard, you will not talk back to my wife like that, or I'll beat you senseless!"

I got up and shoved Dad off of Brody. "Dad, knock it off!"

"Oh, you think that your the big brother, you can come to his rescue? You're just as dumb as your mother was!"

That was it. "YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH ABOUT MOM! SHE WAS TWICE THE PARENT YOU'LL EVER BE!"

Immediately after, Dad socked me in the gut and kicked the crap out of me. After what felt like an eternity, Brody did something I ever thought he would do. He punched dad in the face. Dad fell to the ground and Brody picked me up and yelled "RUN!". We ran out of the door and onto the bus as fast as we could. Like I said, this is the low point of my day.