thirty

❝baby don't let go❞

❝baby don't let go❞

"What do we do?" Cassandra begins to panic. What if they don't make it? What if they die? What if they join James? What if—?

"Hey, Cassie," Brad rubs her arms. "It's fine. Don't panic."

She nods slowly, trying to control her breathing as she looks down. The drop to the floor suddenly felt so far down.

"We'll be fine," Brad reassures her, rubbing their noses together before turning to the boys. "What do you guys suggest?"

"They'll wait until we leave," Connor says. "We don't know if they're good or bad, we just know there's a lot of them."

"I'm gonna go out a limb here and say that they're bad, because why else would they follow us?" Brad scoffs, holding his girl close.

"Brad has a point," Tristan sighs. "Fuck. Right, what do we do?"

The girl shivers in her arms, looking up at Brad, "I'm freezing."

Brad frowns, holding her close as he possibly could. Her teeth chatters and he squeezes her tight.

"We fight them," Brad concludes. "They don't have the same powers as us, we have a benefit."

"One of them is on a land mine and we don't know where that is," Connor hisses. "One of them moves and we can all be dead. Including Cassandra."

"We can't delay the inevitable," Brad argues, starting to feel how cold Cassie was getting. "We're gonna have to get out of here eventually."

"What if we leave through the trees?" Cassie says through her chattering teeth and Brad looks at the girl worriedly, handing him her jacket and wrapping it around her tightly.

"Come on," he carefully stands her up on the thick branch, taking her and helping her walk through the trees. The people hiding underneath didn't move, only watched. "That's it, Cassie. You're doing fine."

Tristan and Connor follow close behind, looking down at the people below, ready to attack if they have to.

"That branch there," Brad tells the girl and he nervously looks down, his grip strong on her. She balances her first foot on the branch, feeling how loose it is before hesitantly putting her other foot on.

The branch snaps and she would've fallen down if Brad didn't grab on to her hand, holding her.

"Fuck, don't let go," Brad says, but her freezing hand was slipping between his fingers as he holds on as tight as he can. "Baby, don't let go, okay?"

The first person moves, then, swiping at her feet and pulling her down. A scream escapes her lips as she comes down to the floor, falling to her chest.

Brad didn't take a second to jump down and help her up, the other two following suite.

"You're okay," he reassures the girl, pushing her behind him as the boys turn their back on her, circling around.