Chapter 6: A newly found company

Was this another dream? I knew that this zombie outbreak thing was unimaginable enough, but this was another thing. How could she be my savior? I was supposed to be the one doing the saving part, but things were reversed. Well, as long as this zombie apocalypse was concerned, this was the most positive thing that happened to me.

"Hey! Are you okay?" she repeated the question. I was still in a daze, and I couldn't move my leg.

"Wes, I asked you if you were okay." she said.

"Oh, yes. Yes. Very. Thank you." I blurted out. I felt the blood rising to my face.

"C'mon. There's no time. We have to move." She said, taking my arm. Ow! I cried to myself. Painfully, I stood up. I tried to look unpained as I smile at her, and then she smiled back. Then in a half of a second later, we were already running through the dense farm, finding our way out.

I watched her as we ran. She was very observative. At every intervals, she checked if our way was right. "Can you move your hand? I need you to use your gun. We need to help each other if we want to get out of here." she said.

"Yes, I, I think so." I replied, almost like a whisper. I aimed my gun in front of me as I ran, checking for anything that may block us. At some point in time, she glanced at my leg as if checking for any injuries. I figured out she knew about my leg injury as her running slowed into my speed. Gradually, she released her hold from my arm and let me run by myself.

Woah. This sure was one big farm! We were still running after about half an hour and the sun was still very bright, I'd bet it was about eleven o'clock in the morning, just an hour before midday. Finally, we were now at the end of the farm, as we saw the wide Court Road.

At last we reached the road. I took one last glance on the farm behind us to make sure no more zombies were following us, and fortunately, none were. Beyond the road was a series of buildings and infrastructures that served as the life of the town. These include the Ladfair Police Station, directly in front of us, and some other buildings just across. This was where we go to generally do anything as it contains most of the buildings that supply and serve us.

"Let's go." Nina said.

We crossed the wide, deserted road, still raising our guns at chest level. Reaching the police station, I held my hand back, signaling to stop walking.

"Wait. Let's check the police station. We need more weapons. I bet the cops own a wide range of weaponry."

"Sure. I've only got a pistol, anyway. Maybe they have bigger and better guns." she replied.

We looked through the window and saw that the station didn't have any light, or maybe the lights were burned out. Nevertheless, there was nobody in the station. "There's no one in here. Maybe we could scour the whole building."

Carefully, I leaned on the wall beside the glass front door bearing the sign "POLICE STATION". Using the butt of my gun, I broke the glass then reached the knob inside, unlocked it, then opened the door. I remembered that I packed three flashlights from my room so I took two of them, using one then giving the other to Nina.

Crossing my hands together, one holding a flashlight and one holding and aiming the gun, I walked in carefully, Nina entering after me. The room was supposed to be the lobby but with the destructions applied to it, it was now like a room where a terrible earthquake occurred. Still, we managed to cross the room and find some drawers. Nina wandered about four meters away from me, searching for other drawers which may hold supplies. I, on the other hand, found a n overturned office desk with a big drawer beneath it. I managed to get a kitchen knife from my room when I packed my bag so I got it out and played around a bit on the lock. Amazingly, the lock opened and I opened the drawer.