Chapter 01

"This is the fifth time in a row we've gotten a call from your principal," Mom hissed, dragging me out to the car by the hood of my jacket.

"And don't think you're gonna get away with it this time, young lady. There will be a punishment involved," Lucas growled, pressing the button on his car keys and unlocking the car, causing the back lights to blink.

I honestly don't know why they tried any more. The same exact words had been repeated over and over for so long now and it was beginning to get annoying. Did that mean I'd stop getting in trouble? No. It did not.

This was my twelfth suspension this year so I was pretty prepared for anything they had in mind. My mom was too nice for her own good and there was no way I'd ever listen to her annoying boyfriend. The PDA was the biggest problem about them so I guess it's their fault I'm like this. I'm off bullying some brainiac while they're busy sucking each other's faces. It's not like they'd ever care, right? I was already 17 and they still hadn't kicked me out. (Which was highly surprising due to the amount of trouble I caused.)

"Don't even think about going to Will's party, this Saturday," Mom snapped.

"I'm going to that party." Two similar steely glares encountered in the rear view mirror.

"No, you're not. There is no need to go to a party after that stunt you pulled back there. Vandalizing one of the largest walls of the school? You're lucky they didn't confront the police about this," she scoffed.

"Mom, you're acting like I sprayed the entire building. I was merely showing off my artistic skills."

"Well, your 'artistic skills' completely wasted my day at work. Besides, when are you gonna start thinking about your future? You have a Kingdom to-," she paused and cleared her throat. "You're better off studying Literature and keeping your head in your mathematics. Or even something that will help you with your university application. Just look at Susan, she volunteered in overseas building missions, and even got involved in the Honors program at Oxford."

I inwardly cursed Susan for being so "perfect." Susan Wells had been my next door neighbor since grade school. Every day, she'd ride past my lawn in her annoyingly sparkly pink bicycle. It made me want to vomit and I hated the way she came over to rub her straight A+ report cards in my face. In a way, I feel sorry for her. Her parents must've worked so hard to mold a perfect Barbie.

"Yeah," I scoffed. "And then she came back all weird and forever alone after that. What a loser."

Mom sighed and pursed her lips. "I don't get why you two aren't friends anymore. It's such a shame. You were the best of friends back in fifth grade."

I rolled my eyes for the millionth time today. I was more likely to push that freak in front of a train than to reunite with her.

"Abigail Anne Mitchel, don't you roll your eyes at your mother. You'd better think about straightening out that attitude if want a light punishment," Lucas growled.

'What makes you think I'd listen to you? You're not even my dad,' I think as the car approaches the house. I look around at the big, white houses lined up nicely on either side of the street. I definitely didn't belong in a neighborhood like this and couldn't wait to get out of it.

Luc parked the car in the drive way and I hopped out quickly before they could start their rant on how bad of a daughter I was.I ran around to the side of the house and climbed up a ladder I'd placed there not too long ago, leading me up to the roof. You see, the homes in this neighborhood were different than most. Our roofs had small hatches, just big enough for a small body to slip through. The hatch lead to the attic and then towards the interior of the house.