New Beginnings

Chapter 2: New Beginnings

CHAPTER ONE

1 Year and Some Months Later...

"And don't forget - If you're out late walking around, make sure you bring your pepper spray. Or call a campus escort."

Both teenagers rolled their eyes good-naturedly. "I have it under control, Mom."

"All right." Mrs. Ozturk took a deep breath and let it out in a loud gust.

"And be sure to call if money ever becomes tight," Mrs. Marin added, affectionately smoothing down her daughter's cowlick. "I'll do what I can to help out."

"Mo-om," Loreta whined. Her childish demeanor ironically contradicted the situation at hand. She stubbornly flattened her own hair. "We'll be fine!"

"Promise to call every weekend?" Mrs. Ozturk requested. Sueda was truthfully surprised at her mother's sudden concern.

"Yes," Sueda droned.

"Okay, that's enough, ladies." Mr. Ozturk picked up the rental car keys purposefully, attempting to make a statement about the time.

"One last hug," Mrs. Marin decided, wrapping her daughter in a tight embrace. She let out a deep breath to steady her emotions as she pulled away. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mom," Loreta replied, unable to resist the urge to smile.

"We need to leave now if we want to beat rush hour back to the airport," Mr. Ozturk pressed.

"All right, we're ready," Mrs. Ozturk responded as she and Mrs. Marin retrieved their purses.

"Bye, girls. Good luck! Get good grades!"

"Bye, Mom," Loreta said, mild irritation tainting her voice.

"Be safe," Mr. Ozturk added to the growing list of demands. And with that, they were gone.

"Finally," Loreta breathed, flopping lazily down onto the couch, kicking off her pumps.

Sueda took a moment to appreciatively take in her surroundings. This was it: the proudest day of her life. Through dedication and hard work, she had earned every penny of her scholarship to the University of California. And here she and Loreta were, in their very own apartment.

Loreta had enrolled in a local community college in the area, insisting that she couldn't bear the thought of Sueda "braving the big city without her." Sueda, well aware that this was Loreta's way of saying "I'll miss you too much if you leave without me," was unbelievably thankful for the companionship. She had dreaded the day in which she would have to say good-bye to her life-long friends. And as much as she knew she would miss Lucy andAshley, (who were attending the Pennsylvania Academy for Fine Arts and University of Pittsburg, respectively), the notion of having Loreta at her side was comforting.

"Ugh," Loreta muttered to herself, thumbing through her planner. "Classes start on Thursday. How did that happen so fast?"

Sueda rolled her eyes. "Do we need to go through this again, Lo?"

"I know, I know," Loreta dismissed with a careless wave of her hand. "Here for the education...not for the parties." As she quoted Sueda's mantra, she turned her nose up distastefully and tossed her planner across the living room frisbee-style.

"Loreta," Sueda began reproachfully, feeling a surge of mild panic at the planner's position on the otherwise spotless floor.

"Oh, relax," Loreta groaned. "It's our first mess. Enjoy the moment."