Chapter 2

Hiccup

The rest of the way to Universal High was silent, but it was a good silence, unlike when Merida had first gotten into my car. I liked friendly Merida better than angry Merida.

Finally, we reached Universal High. I parked my car in the school parking lot and got out of the car, following Merida to the school's front lobby.

Jack Frost was already waiting for us there. He waved halfheartedly from chair when he saw us, but didn't say anything. Jack was like that sometimes, but I knew there was a fun, mischievous side in my popular friend.

"How late are we?" Merida asked, looking around for the new student. I checked my Rolex.

"Not late," I replied. "She's just not here yet, I guess."

"So it is a girl?" Jack cut in, leaning forward in his chair. I nodded. Jack went back to being silent, hands clasped on his knees. Merida looked at me and raised an eyebrow. I lifted my shoulders up in reply. I have no idea why Jack was acting this way right now. There was an awkward silence.

"So. . ." I said, trying to strike up a conversation. "Do you guys have anything to do after school?"

"No," Merida murmured. Jack shook his head, but didn't look up from the floor.

"Anna, what are you doing?" A laughing voice said, carrying through the lobby. Without turning around, we all knew who that voice belonged to. By the looks of Jack tense up, he wasn't excited about the voice.

"Elsa, Hans gave me this bracelet. I was just showing it to you," Anna Arendelle was saying to her sister, Elsa. Her two strawberry blond braids jumped up and down with her. Her turquoise eyes lightened up when she spoke. "Isn't it cute?"

"Yes, Anna, it's cute," Elsa laughed, her loosely braided, platinum blond hair falling over her shoulder. Her light blue shirt contrasted with her pale skin, much like Jack's.

Don't come here for Jack's sake, I prayed, but apparently, luck wasn't on Jack's side today. The two sisters strolled to the chairs where Merida, Jack and I were.

"Hi, Hiccup, Merida and Jack!" Anna greeted us cheerfully.

"Hello, Hiccup, Merida," Elsa said more formally. Her gaze skimmed past my friend. "Jack."

"Hi Elsa, hi Anna," Merida said politely. I said the same. Jack didn't say anything, just nodded in acknowledgement. And was it just my imagination, or did Jack's shoulders hunch more when Elsa looked at him?

"Well. . . okay," Anna said. "We'll see you guys later. Bye!"

"Bye," Merida and I said. Jack continued his silence. Elsa and Anna retreated to a hallway. When they were out of sight, Jack slouched back in his seat.

I checked my Rolex again. "The new girl should be here by now," I said. As if on cue, the door to the office swung open and Principle North stepped through, with a student in tow.

"Here they are," he announced to the girl. "Your tour guides. They'll be taking over from here." With that, he went back into his office and slammed the door shut.

"Um," the girl said timidly. "Hello. My name's Rapunzel Corona."

Rapunzel

When Principle North left me, I felt ridiculously exposed. The other kids stared at me while I introduced myself.

The brown-haired one seemed nice enough. He had a brown sweater with a green shirt underneath it, which complimented his green eyes. The girl looked rebellious, with wild, curly red hair and electric blue eyes. Her black shirt and plaid blue sweater tied around her waist with shorts and leather boots just screamed rebel. The white-haired, pale boy looked kinda mysterious, like a book just waiting to be opened. He seemed distant, his icy blue eyes staring at nothing. If his blue hood had been on, he would have looked totally and completely depressed.