Ch.7 How to Face a Whale

Start from the beginning

At the sound of the vaguely familiar voice, Caelum forced himself to swallow when dark feelings nearly overtook him and made him commit yet another murder, this time in this peaceful suburb. He wanted nothing more than to give himself over to the power of the Killing Curse and the suspicious look on the whale's face only fuelled his desire. But he thought of Harry and fought, for the young boy's sake.

"Mr. Dursley? John Smith, a pleasure to meet you." He only nodded. His adversity to any touch was even stronger now than it had been with Lucius.

The beady eyes narrowed even more. "What do you want? Whatever it is you're selling, we're not interested."

The whale started to close the door but Caelum quickly stuck his foot forward and met the outraged eyes of the blob before him. Breathe, Caelum, he reminded himself. Just breathe.

"I am terribly sorry for disturbing your holidays but I felt the matter could not wait. I am here to tell you about your chance to-"

"Did I not tell you? We are not buying any Hoovers or magazines!"

"And I am not selling!" The mage's tone of voice was bordering on dangerous but the whale of course did not realize that. How could a human be so dense? "I have a proposition that will change your life. If you would just-" Again he was cut off. Caelum bit his tongue to keep from sending the hundreds of dark curses he knew flying at the blob before him.

"You can take your propositions elsewhere! It is Christmas!" The whale was starting to turn red and spit was flying as he shouted in Caelum's face. The mage tried not to gag and clenched his jaw.

"I am here about the boy."

It was nearly comical how fast the colour drained from the whale's face. He started sputtering. "YOU! You're one of them lot! One of them freaks! Leave!" The whale yanked the door and the wizard wondered how he'd walk after this because the pressure on his foot was great, even through the boots.

"I am here to take the boy and I would like this to go smoothly," replied Caelum peacefully but his jaw was still clenching. "I do not have my wand," the whale flinched, "with me. I promise not to do any of the... weird stuff. Do you not want to get rid of him for good?"

The whale eyed him from head to toes and back, a whole array of emotions playing on his face, and Caelum bit on his tongue yet again, trying to concentrate on something other than the prickling of his skin. Two words and this excuse for a man would be no more. Two little words that so easily fell from his lips. But maybe the strain of dealing with someone magical would cause his heart to implode. Now there was a cheery thought.

And if I lose my temper Harry would never trust me.

"You want the boy?" the whale grunted. Caelum saw Petunia come to see what was taking her husband so long. The mage could honestly say that the years with her family had not been kind to her and she looked at least ten years older than her age. Her eyes were listless and the mage honestly pitied this woman who'd chosen to stay with the blob.

"What is it, Vernon?" she asked when Caelum gave her a little bow, just out of common courtesy.

"He wants the boy," the whale repeated and the woman blanched. Her eyes turned to Caelum and the wizard could see the disgust but also the curiosity in them, as the woman slowly realized what he was under the disguise. He nodded as an answer.

"Your husband is right. I have all the docu-"

"Get in here!" He was practically dragged inside and Petunia took a quick look around to make sure no one had seen. She nodded in satisfaction at the empty street but that was about all Caelum could see because he was busy manoeuvring himself to stand on the first stair without touching the whale. His skin was prickling enough as it was, thank you.