𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗: the body

THE WRAP OF knuckles sounded throughout Cindy Harrington's dreary, quiet bedroom.

Only a few hours ago, she had seen the body, water bogged as it was excavated from the quarry's trenches.

She flipped over, having been laying on her side, staring at the wall that faced her, falling deeper and deeper into the nothingness that occupied her sullen mind.

"Come in."

Dianne entered her daughter's bedroom, her toffee-colored eyes immediately fixating themselves on the small body that was hidden under the thick baby blue comforter.

The room, moderately large as it fit the theme of the grand home, was kept by an overcast shadow, grey and gloomy as the light was shunned from it.

The woman moved to the large window of the room, running her perfectly manicured fingers over the lilac curtains.

With a gentle pull, she opened them, earning a groan from the girl who curled further within herself, tugging her comforter higher over her head.

"Cindy, honey," Her mother sat on the twin-sized bed, allowing an arm to drape over her daughter's blanketed frame, "Are you doing alright?"

Cindy pulled the comforter down slowly, brown eyes peering up at her mother softly.

"Not really," She spoke, her lip quivering as the never-ending tears pooled in her tear ducts.

Dianne gently took Cindy's hand in her own, dancing over her daughter with sympathy filled pupils.

"I know this is hard," She squeezed Cindy's hand, running her soft thumb over the girl's small knuckles, "and it's okay to feel sad. That's normal."

Cindy's eyes searched her mother's, watching as her emotions hung on her pretty face.

"I want you to know that you can talk to me. Whatever you're feeling, you can talk to me," Dianne placed a hand the crown of Cindy's head, running her hand over her daughter's tangled locks.

The words were odd coming from her mother's mouth, yet, Cindy soaked them as if she were dying of thirst.

"I know I haven't been the most accepting towards your new friends, and I'm sorry, is all," Her mother's eyes creased as she sent a close-lipped smile to her daughter, "I promise you, I'll be better from now on."

Cindy nodded, leaning up to wrap her arms around her mother's neck, squeezing her tighter as the woman wrapped her arms around the girl.

"Life never gets easier," Dianne sighed, lifting a hand to cradle her daughter's head, which laid on her shoulder, "But you're a fighter, Cindy Harrington. Never lose that."