Chapter 5 - I Hear You Knocking

Flashback – 990 A.D.

Young Klaus was walking through the woods, he crouched down and found his a bowl he had hidden and started picking berries. He then crushed them and mixed them into a paint. Using a paint brush he had crafted himself, he dipped it into the paint and smiled before wiping it onto a piece of bark.

Suddenly, there were sounds of men yelling and fighting in the distance.

Young Klaus looked back and walked through the woods to investigate. He came across many bodies of men who had been killed lying on the ground. A man who had been impaled and pinned to a tree gasped and reached towards him.

"Please, help me," the man implored.

Young Klaus looked at him, not knowing what to do.

Mikael walked closer.

Young Klaus looked at him, startled and watched as Mikael killed him with his sword.

Mikael aimed his sword at Young Klaus. "You would show mercy to an enemy?! A fiend who plotted to raid our home?!" Young Klaus backed away in fear. Mikael lowered his sword, breathing heavily. "Mercy is for the weak, Niklaus." He marched towards him, backing Young Klaus into a tree. "You . . . look at you, boy. You are pathetic. If you are determined to prove yourself a weakling, I should cast you out! Better your brothers not be exposed to a coward!"

Now

Klaus was sitting alone in his study. He stood and walked out, heading towards Kenner's room. He opened the door and found Nina lying in bed with their son, embracing him.

Blue light shone nearby.

Klaus turned and walked away.

Kenner opened his eyes, looking worried.

~*~*~

The next morning, Klaus walked downstairs. "Hope? Kenner?"

Klaus looked into a mirror and saw his eyes glow blue.

Hallucination

Mikael was seen shouting at Klaus. "Today you will die at the hands of Marcel unless you kill you enemy first!"

Reality

Klaus saw Mikael walk past in the mirror and turned around, shaken.

Klaus walked forward to follow the hallucination.

Hope walked closer. "Dad? We're ready to go. Aren't you coming?"

Klaus looked at her, not answering.

~*~*~

Klaus and Nina were walking through the compound.

"You need to go to the Bayou without me," Klaus told her.

"Why?" Nina asked.

"Take Hope and Kenner," Klaus answered. "I'll be right behind you."

"Klaus--" Nina started

"Our daughter nearly died," Klaus reminded her. "I have to make sure the threat to her is over."

"Not without me," Nina told him.

Klaus turned around. "Nina, go. Freya will help me here."

"Tell me what's going on," Nina said.