𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Start from the beginning

011

Cindy mused at the numbers, her brows furrowing as she absentmindedly ran a fingertip over the three little numbers.

The girl, however, yanked her hand out of the Harrington's grasp, a shocked gasp sprouting from within her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

Cindy tripped over her words, racking her brain to find the right thing to say to the stranger, her cheeks blooming a deep shade of pink as she let the embarrassment of what she'd done wash over her.

"Okay," The girl mumbled quietly, placing her hand on top of Cindy's, which she had wrung on her lap in humility.

Their eyes met quickly, their matching brown eyes sinking into each other's, drinking the other in, learning who each of them was.

They understood each other.

At least, from what they knew of each other. They felt safe in each other, trusted each other.

Cindy could feel her heart growing.

A friend, she thought.

"Eleven," Cindy pushed out, her breaths coming out shortly as she wrapped her hand around the girl's that had been placed in her lap, "Is that your name?"

The girl tapped a finger against her sternum. "Eleven."

Cindy nodded gently, a miniature smile crawling onto her lips.

"Eleven," Cindy repeated, squeezing the girl's hand softly, "We can call you El, short for Eleven?"

Eleven nodded, copying the smile that rested on the brunette's cheeks.

"Good," Cindy replied, her smile widening as she looked back towards the boys, whose eyes were wide as they glanced between the two girls.

"Safe," Cindy motioned towards each of them, including herself, "Good."

Eleven nodded shyly, peering towards the boys quickly before returning her gaze to Cindy's smile, a rigid shiver running down her spine.

"Here," Mike Wheeler spoke, walking away from the group to grab a dry sweatshirt and pair of sweatpants for the girl, placing them in Cindy's hands as she reached for them, "these are clean."

Eleven's eyes remained on each of the boys, who stared back at her curiously.

When Cindy extended the clothes towards her, Eleven placed a hand on them, tracing the stitching of the sweatshirt with her finger before standing, moving her hands towards the hem of her shirt to take it off.

"No, no, no!" The boys chorused, covering their eyes as Cindy placed her hands on top of Eleven's to stop her actions.

"Come with me, you can change in the bathroom, right over here," Cindy placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, leading her towards the ominous door in the corner of the basement.

Cindy opened the door, holding it open as Eleven walked inside, looking around carefully.

A small smile made it's way onto Cindy's lips as she pulled on the doorknob gently, attempting to close it for the sake of Eleven's privacy, but the girl responded by wrapping her palm around the edge of the door, keeping the Harrington girl from being able to close it.

"You don't want me to close it?" Cindy asked, her dark eyebrows furrowing in confusion as she read the fearful look on Eleven's face.

"No," Was all she had to say, and Cindy was sheepishly smiling again, nodding gently as she pulled the door closed slightly, leaving an obvious crack between them.