Chapter 1: The Class Project

Quick note: This is shot AFTER the events of the OFFICIAL Ribbon Dance story and BEFORE the events of the official Red Ribbon story by Hori, so this story is canon while not revealing how the original storyline ends. Clever, right?

"Caramel~chan, if you walk any slower, I will STAB you! Get a move on!"

"I'm trying, I'm trying! My backpack weighs like, a MILLION tons, and I'm not the athletic type!"

Caramel struggled to keep up with her friends, Hori and Haley. Today, Mrs. Toriable was announcing a very important project, and from rumors around school, it was a long-term one that was bound to be interesting. 

As the three girls scurried through the hallway, they happened to come across a young man of their age with black hair, deeply tanned skin, and dark brown eyes. Caramel caught his eye as they passed each other.

"Oh. Hi, Nitroz~kun," she said with a smile. 

"Hey, Caramel~chan," he returned the greeting with an equal grin. "Headed off to Tori~sensei's class?"

"Yuh-huh. We're receiving that special semester-wide project today. What'd you think it'll be about?"

"Beats me. I just hope it's fun,"

"Haha, same! Meet you in class?"

"Yeah, maybe later. I've got a brief student council meeting to attend before class. See you then!"

With that, Nitroz turned and left, Caramel staring after him. 

"Doesn't take a genius to tell who HE likes," Hori said slyly.

"U-Um...what do you mean?" Caramel asked, her cheeks steadily going red.

"Nitroz~kun TOTALLY has the hots for you!"

The three friends turned to see a group of girls mobbing one in particular. She had burnt brown hair, gray eyes, and a beautiful stature. 

"Ugh. Not her again," Haley groaned with an eyeroll.

"Her who?" Caramel asked her, trying to get her mind off the recent confrontation.

"Oh, right, you don't know her yet. That's Oira~chan, the most popular girl in school. Every guy wants her, but she's only got eyes for Nitroz~kun. You'd think she'd take a hint; he's OBVIOUSLY not interested in her, but she's just not budging! Poor guy."

"Well, that's...a bit unfair," Caramel said. "I've met her before. She was really nice to me. They could make a nice couple."

"Are you kidding?" Hori spat in disbelief. "Oh, Caramel~chan, my sweet summer child. She only gave you advice on Z~kun so you would be preoccupied. You have no idea what her relationship is with any OTHER girl who even TALKS to Nitroz~kun. 

"What do you mean?"

Before Hori could reply, the warning bell rang out, signalling that it was time to end the conversation and get a move-on. While they rushed to make it to the classroom on time, Caramel could only help but wonder...Oira had been so nice to her. What possibly could make Hori think she was worth avoiding?

***

"Greetings, class!" Mrs. Toriable said to her students. "I'm happy to announce the project everyone's been buzzing about is finally here! I'm so glad that everyone's interested in what they're learning for a change."

"Tori~sensei, some kids said it had to do with teams," Yui said from the back. "Is that true?"

"You are correct, Yui~chan," Mrs. Toriable replied. "This project is going to be focusing on spousal partnership and domestic living. In every person's life, they eventually fall in love and get married. But it's more than just love and kisses. You'll need to go over several things, such as moving in, planning new jobs, the possibility of caring for children, and more. By the end of the semester, I want a full report and record on what you and your partner have accomplished together."

"So we're basically roleplaying husband-and-wife?" Noah said aside. "I have mixed emotions about this."

"Um, Tori~sensei?" Haley timidly asked. "What if we're gay, or bi, or--"

"Sexualities will be respected when choosing the pairs," she replied, which was received with relief. There were more queers in the class than a normal school. 

"Do we get to choose our pairs?" Thasi asked from the back.

"No, your pairs have been pre-selected. Speaking of, it's time to announce them now!" Mrs. Toriable went under her desk and pulled out a list of paper. On them, the names of the pairings were written out in sea-foam green, her favorite color. "First couple: Noah~kun and Yui~chan!"

The said pair looked at each other. Though the classroom was filled with "oooooohs" and "awwwws," Caramel knew them both well enough to know what they were thinking: "It could have been worse."

"Next couple: Hori~chan and Haley~chan!" Mrs. Toriable announced.

"Yes! We get to spend all semester together, Hori~san!" Haley cheered.

"Good for them," Caramel thought with a smile. Those two were made for each other. 

"Z~kun and Yogi~chan!" was the next pair announced. Caramel had heard about her from time-to-time, but she assumed that he would be okay; he had spoken fondly of her in the past.

The list went on until only a bare minimum of students were left. Caramel hadn't really been thinking until then, but then one look around the room, and she realized something: Thasi hadn't been chosen yet. She felt a feeling of dread drape over her. Though the school bully was no longer trying to get her kicked out, he still bullied her thoroughly, and was the LAST person she wanted to play "husband-and-wife" with.

"Please, please, PLEASE pick any boy but Thasi," Caramel prayed. Mrs. Toriable came to her name on the roster. She held her breath...

"And this next pairing is...Caramel~chan and Nitroz~kun!"

The entire class, mostly the girls, erupted in a disbelieving, shocked "WHAT?!" 

Caramel, however, nearly sank to the floor in both relief and embarrassment. This was both the best and worst outcome EVER. 

Why is that? Ooh, we'll have to find out in the rest of the story! So yeah, I started something new. IDK if it'll be as popular, but hey! Only one way to find out! (Unlike this way, you'd have to read the original Ribbon Dance story to sort THIS out)