VII

Your POV

It's been an hour since we landed here in Los Angeles and both teams-Stanford and UCLA-have been hanging out. We just finished eating  and all of us are heading outside until I feel someone grab my wrist. I turned my head and looked to see who it was. She had cute freckles and light brown eyes; Jessie Fleming. The Canadian smiled at me before speaking. "You forgot your phone at the table, so I grabbed it for you on the way out." She held out my phone as I smiled, taking it from her and putting it in my back pocket. "Wow, thank you so much. I didn't even notice I forgot it." Jessie let go of my wrist and laughed a little, "I've got your back, don't worry." I grinned and let out a chuckle.

"Thank you, Jessie." "No problem, Y/N."

I turned to leave with the rest of my team before looking around for Mallory. My eyes scanned the area until I saw her. A grin crept onto my face, then quickly disappeared when I saw who was next to her—Ashley Sanchez; UCLA's blonde forward. I had heard rumors of what kind of person she is and how rude she can get. But my question is why is she with Mal?

I was brought out of my thoughts by Tierna walking up to me. She tilted her head to the side before looking at Mal and Ashley, then back at me.

"Oh, I see what's going on." She said as she rolled her eyes and wrapped an arm around my  shoulders. "Let's leave the two exes alone." My thoughts came to a screeching halt at the defender's words. Exes? Mal and Ashley dated? My mood changed as quickly as my thought process as Tierna pulled me back toward the bus. If Mal wants to hang out with Ashley, fine. I'm not going to focus on that; I have a game to play.

- - -

We eventually got settled into our hotel and Tierna and I are rooming together. I was unpacking my stuff when the defender came out from the bathroom in her uniform. "What time are we loading up?" I asked. She looked at her phone before responding. "Coach Paul said he wants us down at the bus in 10." I nodded and put my socks in my bag before zipping it up.

Tierna looked over at me as she sat down on her bed. "Penny for your thoughts?" She inquired as I smiled slightly, giving her a side look. "You're still thinking about them, huh?" She stated as my gaze shifted to the floor. I gave her a small nod. "How long did they date for?" I asked, my gaze not shifting from the spot in the floor in front of me.

I heard her shift on her bed before she gave me a response. "Since they were on the U17's until Mal left UCLA." My heart sank at her words. I didn't even notice I hadn't responded until I felt the bed dip next to me. Tierna put an arm around my shoulders.

"She didn't tell you?" I shook my head and put my head on her shoulder. Why didn't Mal tell me? And why was she all up on Ashley anyways? Mallory hasn't even talked to me since we got here at the airport.

"I'll have Andi help me fight her. We can run her over with the bus—" "No, no don't get Andi, and don't kill anyone with the bus." I cut her off with a laugh. Tierna smiled, "There's the Y/N I know. Now," she paused and picked me up bridal style. "We go to the bus." I shook my head and laughed again, letting her carry me out of our room as I reached over and held my bag.

Thank God for Tierna Davidson.

- - -

We loaded up onto the bus for the game. I sat next to Tierna (no surprise) and we played with Snapchat filters the whole ride to UCLA. I had completely forgotten about Ashley and Mal until I saw them as we were getting off the bus.

I felt my feet stop as I saw Ashley holding hands with Mal. Andi must have noticed I stopped walking because she grabbed my arm and lightly pulled me away. She let me go once we got a decent distance away from them.

When we got to the locker room, I set my bag down and pulled out my headphones to listen to some music. I needed to get into my zone for the game and not focus on Mallory. Andi sat next to me and gave me a small smile as she began putting her cleats and shin guards on. I returned the greeting with a smile that mirrored her own before tying my laces.

I was so immersed in my music that I didn't notice Tierna recording me. I paused my dancing and stared at her camera before laughing, causing her to laugh as well.

"You know you love my dancing." I said with a grin as Tierna snickered. "Yeah, that's why I posted it on Instagram. So everyone can love your dances now."

My eyes widened and I groaned playfully.

"I hate you." "Love you too."

- - -

After the rest of the team finished suiting up, we lined up in the tunnel. I looked over next to me and saw a familiar freckled face.

"Hey, bright eyes." I said with a smile. Jessie looked over at me and grinned. "You ready?" She asked. "To beat you? Oh yeah, I'm so ready." I replied as I smirked. The Canadian let out a laugh and shook her head. "Oh, it's on."

We both looked forward as our teams headed out to the field. I looked back at my teammates and smiled. Damn I love being a Cardinal.

After we got onto the field and began warming up, Andi walked up to me and held up the captain's armband. I raised an eyebrow at her as she smiled warmly and slid the band up my arm. My eyes widened immediately, "Andi Sullivan what are you doing?" She just chuckled and patted my shoulder. "I think the question is, what are you going to do, captain?" With that, the 22 year old walked off with a grin.

They called the captains over and I left the warmup group. I smirked at the sight of the Bruin's captain of the night.

"Good luck, bright eyes." "Likewise, speedy."

We got into the circle since we won the coin toss. I looked back at Tierna, who grinned at the sight of me in the armband. Her reassuring smile always makes me less nervous and I love her for that.

My eyes drifted directly in front of me and my smile faded. Ashley Sanchez. Then I looked over at the bench and spotted another familiar face; Mal. She was sitting next to Amanda Cromwell, the UCLA coach. We made brief eye contact before I turned my focus to my teammate Jordan Dibiasi for kickoff.

The referee asked if the goalkeepers were ready before he held his hand up in the air, signaling for the clock to start running. I took a deep breath then exhaled when the whistle was blown.

Let's do this.

———

A/N:

holy crap, 3K views?! im so happy you guys like this story. thank you guys so much!

- Alex