Disappearing Dawn Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Red Car

The car ride is gloomy and boring. My mom is yelling at my dad for sitting on the GPS; my dad is yelling back saying she shouldn't have left it on the seat; and the nasally-voice of the GPS is spitting out random orders such as, "Turn left. Turn left. Turn left here. Turn left in one metre. Turn left in two metres. Turn left now. Turn right." And I feel so sorry for my poor black cat, Midnight, who is meowing dejectedly and pawing at her cage I can hardly stand it.

As my mom and dad are mid-argument, I slyly sneak her out of the cage, and place her on my lap. She purrs, and closes her eyes happily. I go back to writing my poetry.

Haiku #1:

I see a red car

I hate all of these red cars

I want to kill them.

Rhyming Poem:

These red cars zoom by, without a care;

The breeze from the window dishevels my hair.

I hate how they look-this bright red blob

In the middle of the green trees, and soft white fog.

It looks... out of place.

We drive by peacefully...

Except on the inside not really,

It's all just fake,

Just a big mistake...

I want to go home.

I don't want to watch these red cars.

"We're almost there!" says mom cheerfully, attempting a smile in my direction.

"Okay," I say passively. I really don't care in the least.

"Better roll up the windows," Dad chimes in, "before it gets too chilly out there."

"No, Bill," mom's tone is harsh, "I told you, I need fresh air or I'll get carsick."

"I was just saying, Mary, that perhaps it would be a little cold and I only have short sleeves on, so to be considerate to others..."

"If you had listened to me when I said to put on a sweatshirt, you would not be in this predicament..."

"I don't take orders from women..."

"EXCUSE ME? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

"I'M BEING HONEST, MARY. MEN ARE IN CHARGE IN THIS WORLD."

"WHY YOU LITTLE ROTTEN BASTARD, YOU GET OUT OF THE CAR THIS INSTANT."

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MARY? WHY ARE YOU PULLING OVER? DRIVE THE GOD DAMNED CAR, YOU CRAZY BITCH."

"MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SO STUPID YOU'D HAVE LEARNED TO DRIVE AND YOU COULD HAVE YOUR OWN CAR BUT NOOOO, YOU ARE TOO... STUPID!"

"Ouch. That one hurt." He smirks.

He earns a punch in the face by mom, her wedding ring smashing into his cheek bone.

They both start laughing.

"Oh, Bill, how you amuse me, you little joker."

"Oh Mary, you silly goose."

"Ha-ha-ha-ha-HA!"

My family is a tad dysfunctional.