Chapter five : Elves, goblins and Wizards.

Start from the beginning

I was surprised the elf managed to keep up, as I was running flat out. I growled softly to myself as I came to a huge hill that looked like it would give way any second. But the elf was still on my tail, so I scaled it. I huffed and gasped as I ran up the hill, pushing my self up on my hind legs painfully. I almost laughed when I heard the elf still following. By the moon, this one just doesn't give up. His buddies had long since gone, leaving myself and the elf to run ourself to death. The only question was, who would drop first?

I ran past a few trees scattered around on the top of the hill. I took this chance to look behind. Sure enough, the elf was still there, his bow and arrows secured on his back so he could run. His long, light blonde hair flew out behind him, over his broad shoulders. He wore green hunting gear, not uncommon for elves, and his vivid blue eyes stood out. His eyes were focused on me, the challenge and determination clear in them. I yelped as my side collided with a tree, snapping off the shaft of the arrow, leaving in the arrow head. The pain increased tenfold.

I turned my attention back to where I was running. The trees were becoming thicker and closer together, easier for the elf, harder for me. Finally my luck to a turn to my direction. There, in the side of the rock face we were rapidly approaching, was a cave. Small, but the darkness would work in my favour. I made a bee line towards it, the elf following my regardless of the danger.

Closer...closer...so close!

I burst into the cave opening, letting the darkness envelope me. I skidded to a stop and span round to watch the elf. He stopped at the cave entrance, considering the risk and reward. After moments of silence, he pulled out his bow and notched an arrow before stepping into the cave with me. I almost growled, but instead, I flattened myself against one of the walls and stayed still. To my relief, the elf jogged straight past me, aiming his bow where ever he thought he saw movement.

Once the elf disappeared round a corner, I stood and made my way out. Just before I stepped out, I caught a scent that made me freeze.

'Goblinnnnss' my wolf growled inside me, the hackles on my neck raising.

'Well shit'

I span round as I heard the echo of a goblin squealing, quickly followed by the sound of an arrow hitting flesh. That familiar sound made me flinch, but I quickly realised that the elf was in trouble. With out a second of hesitation, I ran to the elfs' aid.

{¥}

Goblin blood stained my fur, black a gooey, and the stench of goblin was almost suffocating. Ropes and chains bound my body, whilst a muzzle was pulled painfully tight overs my jaws, preventing me from ripping these goblin filth to shreds. Thankfully, my efforts hadn't been in vain, as the elf had escaped.

I growled at a goblin as he poked me with a sharp stick. My body was covered in claw marks, the goblins and I had had a disagreement. Now they were dragging me across fragile wooden platform and bridges, towards their 'king'.  My ears were ringing from the deafening roar of thousands upon thousands of goblins. I was in goblin town.

'Bloody hell'

A painfully out of tune voice bellowed as we reached a large platform holding a pile of rubble in the shape of a throne, and an over weight goblin, covered in warts. His whole body sagged, but it could be worse...he was hideous, lumps and spots covered his slimy skin as it rippled every time he brought a staff down, thumping in time with the...'music'.

"The flames, they came

And stole away,

The mountain from under the king!

The gold is his,

Won by dragon fireeeeee!

All hale the new king under the mountain!

Most dwarves are dead, now he's gone to beeeeeddd,

Leaving the homeless dwarves a dyin'!

Haven't you heard? The old king has fleeeeeedd!

Hale the new king under the mountain!"

The 'king' of the goblins sang, his voice scratchy and painful to listen to. I winced and shuck my large wolf head, trying to rid myself of the hideous noise. I had no idea what he was 'singing' about, but it didn't sound good. The goblins around me erupted into applause, the noise making me dizzy. Then the 'king' turned to us.

"What?!" He snapped at the goblin who stepped forward, hold an axe tightly in his grasp. He made me think he was someone in charge.

"Father!-" the 'prince' goblin cried, his deformed face curving into a proud smirk "- I have brought you a pwize" I almost scoffed at being called a 'prize', but I wasn't sure which was better, dumb wolf or dangerous skin changer.

"Oh? Well let me see it, let me see it!" The king cried, clapping his hands like a fool. I snarled as I was dragged forward, chains and ropes pulling painfully. I was thrown In font of the king, on my injured side.

"What is this?....." The king snapped, kicking me with his foot. I snarled, making him jump, much to my entertainment.

"A guard dog!-" I growled at being called a dog "-it will protect you"

'Over my dead body' I growled to myself.

"What?! This pitiful creature? Well...I suppose. But how will people know its mine?" The king laughed, a cruel smile coming to his face, putting me on edge. The 'prince' goblin laughed, gesturing at a goblin to do god knows what. He scarpered off, laughing manically.

"Hold it down!" The king cried, laughing as I struggled and snarled at those who did just that. I snapped my head up when I smelt burning metal. A goblin crept forward, and glowing red brandishing iron in his grip.

I doubled my struggle ten fold, but it was no use. I howled in pain as the metal was pressed into my hind leg, burning my flesh with a mark I didn't want to see. IT was removed almost instantly, but the pain remained, allowing a burst of adrenalin to flow through me. I finally shook off the goblins holding me down. I ripped off the muzzle and ropes, but the chains were too strong.

I first ripped off the head of the goblin who branded me, before throwing his body over the side. Next, I turned my eyes to the 'prince', and lunged. The goblins ran round in panic, but the prince didn't have a chance. I tore into his flesh like it was paper, ripping his head from his body and throwing it at the king. I howled, silencing the goblins.

"Nooooo!" The king roared, picking up his sons head and cradling it. Then he looked at me. He saw my scared left eye and his own widened.

"That's no beast! It's the blood runner, the death bringer! Kill it, kill it with fire!" The king roared, throwing his sons head to the side. If they thought they were gonna catch me again they had another thing coming. I leapt over a group of goblins and took off down a rickety bridge. It wasn't long until a huge wave of goblins followed, screaming and shouting wildly, while more bloody arrows rained down from above. Just another arrow head to add to my collection.

{¥}

I felt like a porcupine with all the arrows sticking out of me. Elf and goblin arrows jutted out of my flesh like feathered spikes, most of them black goblin arrows. My blood boiled as I felt poison seeping into my blood, but at least I was out of goblin town. My muscles began tensing up, locking the arrow heads in place. I growled softly at the pain, but kept up a steady pace. I was trotting down a dirt path, I had gotten quite a distance away from the mountains. My blood left a small path behind me, making me easy pray for a hunter.

I barely registered the sounds of a horse trotting down the road behind me. With a groan, I finally collapsed, shifting back into my human form. The pain was unbearable, but I hadn't the energy to do anything about it. The horse came to a stop beside me, and someone jumped off, mumbling to them-self.

"Oh dear..."

I growled softly before passing out...

*********

One more back story part to do, and then the fun begins! Vote, comment and have a good one! xx