Chapter 20; Surrounded by Insanity.

Start from the beginning

///Betty Pov//

I'm standing in the trailer at Andrew's construction when FP Jones comes in.
"Mr. Jones, I didn't mean to ambush you." I laugh awkwardly... If only Kat were here, she would be able to help... "I know you don't do birthdays, but Archie and I are having a few of Jughead's friends over at Archie's house. And I bet it would mean so much to Jughead if you came."
"Man, you don't quit, do you?"
"Rarely, if ever. I really wanna do something special for him. And you being there... That would be special." He cocks his eyebrow at me so I push my hands together as if begging him to say yes. He smirks a little, which I take as a yes.

I'm standing in the Blue and Gold Office a little while later when my mom comes in.
"Great news Betty. I just had a terrific meeting with Principal Weatherbee, who agrees that the Blue and Gold can benefit greatly from my professional guidance as your new advisor."
"That's great, mom." I sit down.
"So what are we working on?"
"A list of supplies for Jughead's birthday party."
"Why isn't his girlfriend in her to help with that?" Ouch, it stung hearing other people say it too... Jughead wasn't and isn't my boyfriend.
"She doesn't think its a good Idea. Apparently Jughead doesn't like his birthday." I shrug, still not sure what all the fuss is about.

//Kat POV//

Jughead puts the pizza on the table.
"I'm starved." I chuckle as Archie starts to cut it.
"So... A John Landis double feature at the Bijou. American Werewolf in London and Animal House." Jughead sits down next to me "Kat and I were wondering if you wanted to tag along. Like old times..." He shrugs. I look at Archie with my last plea to drop the whole party idea.
"And third wheel, I'm good thanks."
"Come on Arch, its not that bad." I fake a whine, really trying to get him off of the trail he is on.
"Really I'm good thanks though guys." I sigh.
"That sucks man, feel weird going with out you." Jughead looks between Archie and I.
"Oh no, are you two about to have a bromance moment cause if that's so then I'm just gonna go." Jughead playfully pushes me away laughing.
"Nah, just starting a new tradition I guess." Jughead wraps his arm around me.
"Archie told Betty about your Birthday..." I cover my mouth
"Thanks Kat!"
"Dude really, come on!"
"Why do you hate your birthday so much."
"I don't know" He looks at me "PTSD from when I was a kid. I don't know. Things were always messed up at home. Usually because of my dad. And then there was this arbitrary day, that we would just get together and pretend things were great. We were normal. And it just made me feel really lonely." I squeezed Jughead's thigh as a form of support. I knew the story, it was something most Southside kids shared. I looked up to Archie with a glare not sure if that changed his mind or not.

Later Jughead is giving me a kiss good night.
"I'm glad we are good now."
"Me too." I kiss him one more time.
"Stay..."
"And have to sleep on the floor in Archie's room, or the couch? I've had my fair share of that thank you." I laugh lightly. But I'll see you tomorrow, and if you behave I may have a special surprise in store for you." I give him a wink.
"Sounds like my kind of night." I laugh starting to pull away.
"Hey Kat can we talk for a second before you go?" Archie comes out.
"Good night babe." Jughead kisses my cheek and goes inside.
"No Andrews. Its still my answer."
"Just come home from the movie early, please. The plans are set."
"No, I've told you already..."
"Come Kat, he deserves this."
"He deserves a night he is actually going to like."
"He will like this, its just us. He likes all of us." I roll my eyes.
"You all are crazy."
"Please Kat, we are banking on you."
"You should have come up with a better plan."
"Please Kat."
"STOP begging Archie."
"Then say yes." I walk away flipping him off.
"Starts at nine!" I walk backwards flipping him off with both fingers "Thank you"
"Screw Andrews I only have two hands!" I shout before actually walking home. I guess Jughead's tale did nothing to Archie, what so ever.

The next day I find Jughead in the Hallway, I had to run to school to avoid bumping into him before I finished the small present I got him. I run up behind him putting my hands over his eyes.
"Good morning to you too..." I can hear him laughing.
"How'd you know?" I drop my hands leaning against his locker. He turns to me tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.
"Your perfume, its the same every day."
"Damn" I pretend to pout. I reach into my camera back pulling out an envelope.
"Kat?" He looks at me with wide eyes.
"I know, I know... but you deserve to have this one." He opens it unfolding the picture of him I drew. He is sitting behind his computer at Pop's a look of complete concentration on his face.
"Its beautiful..."
"I figured when the story finally finishes one picture of the writer in his natural habitat would be a cool edition." He gives me a soft kiss on my cheek.
"I can't wait for tonight" He whispers in my ear. My heart seized in my chest, my face went flush.
"Me either babe." I faked a smile grabbing his hand on our way to first period.

Later that evening I was wearing a clean pair of black jeans with a nice grey tank top that showed just enough to tease. I had a sliver chain that held both of my parents wedding rings and my brother's ring as well. It was one of the only ways I kept them with me at all times. I grabbed a light jacket before meeting Jughead outside of the Cooper household.

The movie would have been fantastic curled up next to Jug in the theater, if only my phone wasn't freaking out in my pocket through the whole thing. In between the two movies I looked at Jug sadly, I wanted to stay here with him so bad... The thought crossed my mind to ignore the messages and do what I knew would make him happy. I also knew it would get out in someway that would make me seem like the bad guy.
"You okay Kat?"
"Mhm?" I hummed before shaking my head "I'm not feeling well..." I wasn't completely lying, the whole situation made me sick.
"Do you want to go home?"
"I don't want to ruin your birthday..." he stepped to me tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.
"I'm with you, that's all I need. Come on, lets go home I'll get you some soup maybe we can just curl up on the couch downstairs to watch TV." I nod before he opens his mouth again "Is this because Chuck is back?" My eyes go wide staring straight at him "Kevin told me him and Betty had a scene."
"I believe Chuck Clayton deserved way worse than what he got, as do all of the guys that do the same shit he did, but no... I'm not sick cause he is back." I sighed
"What happened that night?"
"To be honest Jug, I don't know much. I know it got dark between the three of them..."
"Weren't you there?"
"Des called, one of the" I pause looking around making sure no one could hear me "One of the teen serpents had gotten in a fight, he got hurt pretty bad she needed my help."
"Doctor Kat to the rescue." He gave me a small smile. "Okay babe, lets get you home." I nod slowly following him out of the theater. The closer we got to the house the worse I felt, the more I knew this was the wrong choice. Right before going up the stairs I grabbed his shirt sleeve,
"Whats wrong?" He looked at me. I kissed him hard, he melted into the kiss quickly.
"I'm sorry..." I whispered so quietly that almost I couldn't hear myself, but I hoped he could.