"FALL BACK!" The Captain shouted and the few soldiers that were left, ran from the barricade. Marius stood at the top of the barricade watching as the soldiers disappeared, the gunpowder and torch still in hand. Enjolras climbed to the top taking the torch from Marius as Courfeyrac took the gunpowder. I starred angerly at Marius as he climbed back down, still processing what just happened. But I didn't care, I charged right at him in a fit of rage.

"Marius, what the hell were you thinking! Our lives are not yours to risk!" I shouted hitting his chest. I felt Enjolras pull me back by wrapping his arm around my waist so that he could tear me away from Marius before anything could happen. "What on earth is going through your head, that would make you do something like that!" I continued to shout at him.

"Valerie, calm down. Everything is alright now" Enjolras said trying to calm me down. I took a deep breath as I began to relax again. "Are you ok now?" Enjolras said looking in my eyes. I just nodded and looked over his shoulder at the boy who had fallen. I quickly pulled away from Enjolras and ran over the boy to see if I could help him. I crouched down next to him and pulled his hat away, and long dark brown hair fell over the boy's shoulders.

"No, Eponine!" I said when I saw her face. I looked down to where her hand clutched onto her stomach. I slowly moved her hands away to see her wound. "Oh Eponine" I said sadly looking up at her knowing that there was nothing I could do, she had already lost so much blood.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." She said looking at me. I couldn't help by start to cry, as I watched my friend slowly fade away. I saw her look up behind me. I turned to see Marius walking over to us.

"Eponine, what have you done?" He asks crouching down next to her and taking her in his arms. I watched as Eponine pulled her gaze away from me and looked up at Marius a smile spreading across her face, as she was finally in the arms of the man she loved.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, I looked up to see Enjolras standing behind me. I took his hand as he pulled me up to him as I started to sob into his chest. He walked me over to the Musain, so that Marius and Eponine could have some time alone. We sat down over in a corner next to the Café, and Enjolras just held me as I sobbed for my friend.

I had calmed down just enough to hear their conversation over the rain that had started to fall.

"Don't you fret, Monsieur Marius. I don't feel any pain. A little fall of rain can't hurt me now." Eponine said smiling at Marius.

"Eponine, you will live!" Marius said holding back his tears. "Dear God above, if I could close your wounds with words of love." He continued but Eponine cut him off.

"Just hold me now, and let it be. Shelter me. Comfort me. And you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close. And the rain will make the flowers, grow." Eponine said in her last breaths. I watched as the life left my friend as Marius held the girl, he had no idea was completely in love with him.

I sank father into Enjolras' chest as tears started to escape my eyes again, as I mourned the loss of my friend.

"She's gone, I can't believe she's gone" I said between sobs. Enjolras wrapped his arms tighter around me as a single tear trickled down his cheek.

"She was the first to fall. Her death will not be in vain, we will fight in her honour." He said A few of the boys went over to Marius and Eponine and took Eponine from his arms, so that they could lay her to rest in the café. I watched as they walked past Enjolras and I and gently laid her down at the back of the café.

I turned around in Enjolras' arms wrapping mine around his waist and resting my head on his chest.

"I'm so sorry about Eponine, I know how close you two have become these past few months." Enjolras said kissing the top of my head.

"Thank you." I mumbled "But, at least I still have you. Promise me Enjolras, nothing is going to happen to you" I raised my head to look up into his blue eyes. He was quiet for a moment, before he answered.

"I will try my best. But for now, let's just live in the moment. We are together now. That is all that matters." He said. I just nodded, it wasn't a promise, but I would accept it for now. "But, I must go. I have the first watch tonight. Try to get some rest." Enjolras said kissing my cheek before he climbed to the top of the barricade for his watch shift. I stood in place for a bit, looking around at the boys, who were still shaken up from the attack, slowly they started to settle down, sitting on the bottom of the barricade having quiet conversation with each other. I looked around for Gavroche, wondering if anyone had gone to get him out of hiding in the café after the attack, when I saw a small mop of blonde hair poke out of a small box in the barricade. I smiled slightly to myself as I waked over to him.

"I see you found a nice little spot!" I said to Gavroche, she looked up at me and smiled.

"I sure did! Quite comfy in here. Want to join me mademoiselle?" He smiled.

"I don't think I will fit Gavroche. This is a special little people spot" I said ruffling his hair. I turned around to walk back over to the barricade when I bumped into Marius. He just looked down at me and continued on walking.

"Marius, wait." I said grabbing his arm. He sighed deeply and turned back around to face me. "Marius, I'm sorry for the way I reacted earlier. I was just scared of you getting hurt." I said looking down at me feet. "I should have been thanking you for saving all of us. I was just scared. Can you forgive me?" I said looking back up at him.

"Of course, Val. You are like a sister to me, I would do anything to protect you and the boys." He said pulling me into him for a hug. "And I have to admit, it was rather stupid. But I was so caught up in the moment." He chuckled slightly. "Excuse me, just a minute. I have to do something." He said pulling away from the hug and going over to talk to Gavroche.

I looked up at Enjolras who was perched at the top of the barricade staring out at the empty street in front of him. I began to ascend up the death trap that they called a barricade to sit next to him and keep him company during his watch.

"Hi" I smiled at him once he noticed I was there.

"Hi" He said smiling back and taking my hand and kissing it as I sat down next to him.

A/N The time is near! Has anyone ever been so excited about a certain part in a story, that they literally cannot wait to write! I have been brainstorming so many ideas for the next few chapters, since I started this story! And the closer that we get to that part, the more excited I get and the more ideas pop into my head! 

Anyways! I hope you all are enjoying it so far!

-Nat (BroadwayGeek101)