Chapter Four

I stepped into the door and looked around the small apartment. The paint was peeling off the walls and it was dark with a few candles lit here and there. It was rather tiny with a tiny kitchen area and living room, In the corner there was a desk and a large bookshelf that was filled with books. The apartment was full of paper's that were strewn about. I stood in once place at I watched Enjolras run around the apartment picking up the stacks of papers.

"Sorry it's a little messy, I've been going through some plans." He said nervously. I just smiled at him and went to go help him pick up the papers off the couch.

"It's fine, honestly. What have you been working on." I said taking a seat on the couch looking down at the papers I had picked up.

"Well, mostly writing speeches for rallies, thinking of possible dates to put the revolution in motion. But so far nothing has stuck." He said sitting next to me. I continued to read the papers in front of me.

It is time for the people to rise, to stand up for the people below. We must develop a government that will influence others. A government where the people makes the decisions. One that would benefit everyone. One without a king.

"This government you talk about in this one. It sounds too good to be true." I smiled at him.

"Yeah, it's a type o government they have in England. They call it a democracy. The people vote to elect their leader that they feel would best represent them. And they make all decisions in a legislative meeting. Although they have a queen, but they don't have much of a role in the government. She is more of a figure head." He explained taking the papers from me and placing them on his desk with the others.

"That sounds amazing, is that what you are striving for in this revolution?" I asked.

"One day maybe." He said looking at me with those blue orbs. "I'm glad you came. I didn't know if I could wait to have you with me." He said sitting back down next to me and taking my hands in his.

"To be honest with you, I thought I could wait until Friday evening. But now that I am here, I'm glad I didn't either." I looked down at our hands smiling. Suddenly the door opened quickly.

"Enjolras! I have some news!" Marius said as he walked in the door. "Valerie! What are you doing here? Enjolras said that your mother was keeping you locked up?" He said when he saw me.

"It's a long story. But I ran away. I couldn't take it anymore." I said sadly.

"Well, I'm glad you did. You didn't belong there anyways." He smiled at me as he walked over to give me a hug.

"What was the news you had Marius?" Enjolras said pulling Marius back on track.

"Oh, right, the news. I met this you lady today. She lives on the streets around the Musain with her parents. She said she overheard our conversation the other day about building barricades and the placement. She said that she knows her way around the streets very well and can help up map out the perfect places." Marius said sitting in the armchair that was next to the couch.

"Wonderful! I can't wait to meet her. Bring her to the meeting tomorrow evening." Enjolras said getting up from the couch and walking into what I assumed must have been a bedroom.

"What did you do to him?" Marius whispered to me when Enjolras was out of ear shot.

"What are you talking about?" I asked furrowing my brow.

"Last night he was the first to leave from the meeting, and when he arrived home he was smiling like a little kid on Christmas. And ever since then, he had been nothing but a delight, agreeing to everything." Marius said. A smile crept on my face.

"Well, remember that first meeting I came to you said that I fancied him? Well I didn't know it at the time. But I did. And last night he came to my window, and confirmed my love for him, and his for me." I smiled.

"I knew it!" Marius whisper shouted.

"Who would have thought that the stone man could love someone." Marius smirked at me.

"Love can do strange things to people Marius, you'll find out one day." I smiled.

"Well it's late, I think I will turn in for the night. Goodnight Valerie." Marius said getting up and placing a kiss on my cheek before walking to the second bedroom and closing the door behind him. Enjolras was still in the bedroom, so I figured I would look around the apartment a bit. I walked over the book case and began to trace my fingers along the spines of the books as I read the titles. Most of them were various law books, but one book stood out in particular. It looked rather worn, as if it had been read many times. I pulled it off the shelf and flipped open the cover to the first page.

"So, you can sleep in my bed, and I'll take the couch." Enjolras said causing me to jump as I slammed the cover of the book closed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" He chuckled as he walked over to me.

"Yes, I was just admiring your book collection" I smiled at him. He took the book from my hands and turning it over.

"Romeo and Juliet" he smiled. "it's one of my favourites." He said handing it back to me.

"And it's the only other book you have other than law books." I laughed. Placing it back on the shelf.

"Have you read it?" He asked. I shook my head to say no.

"Here, read it and let me know what you think." He said taking back off the shelf and giving it to me.

"Thank you" I smiled holding the book close to my chest. I stared into Enjolras' eyes as he leant down to kiss me. His lips were soft against mine. This kiss swept me off my feet, just like it had yesterday. I smiled as he pulled away.

"You should probably get some sleep. I turned down the bed, and if you need anything. I'll be right here." He said kissing me once more.

"Goodnight my love." He smiled at me.

"Goodnight Enjolras." I said turning around and walking into the bedroom, looking back at him as I closed the door behind me. There was a single candle lit in the room on the side table next to the bed. I took off my dress, so that I was only in my slip that was under my dress, and hung it over the end of the bed. I climbed into the bed and sunk down in the soft straw mattress and drifted off to sleep.