Everything Is Not What It Seems

Start from the beginning

Feeling around to make sure the object was still there, he breathed a sigh of relief when his fingers confirmed its location, still secure in his pocket.

He wondered if he'd be able to follow through with his plan. He had been so meticulous.

But now wasn't the time for nerves.

Now was the time for action, to do what he'd been wanting to do for so long.

She could scream, he didn't care. He just had to do it.

The sharp staccato of a car door slamming shut pulled him back to reality.

She was finally alone.

Watching her with intense eyes, he waited until she made it to the center of the park.

With lightning fast movement, he reached for a nearby power breaker and flipped several switches.

Instantly, thousands of lights flicked on. Every tree was strung with thousands of small, shining bulbs that bathed the night in a stunning golden glow.

He wondered how she managed to look so flawless and incredible. Illuminated in the soft light, her eyes widened and her jaw dropped in wonder.

He pulled his phone out and hit play on her favorite love song, stepping out from behind the tree and walking toward her with slow, purposed steps.

As he got closer and closer to her, he was sure that the oxygen was being sucked from his very lungs.

Taking in her form, the curve of her tiny waist, the soft curl of her hair, the questioning glitter in her eyes... it was almost to much for him. He was afraid he might pass out. She devastated him, fully.

Her eyes met his and a breathtaking smile spread across her face.

He thought that if he died right now, he'd die as the happiest man in the world.

"Did you do this?" She gestured toward the shining trees.

"Just for you," he replied with a sheepish smile, a slight blush creeping into his cheeks.

"It's so beautiful, babe! Just like a fairytale," she clapped her hands together and wiggled her hips in a drunken happy dance, which he thought was far too adorable to process.

He couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't wait another second. He had to do it, and he had to do it now, before his knees gave out or something even more embarrassing.

With his heart racing like it never had before, he tenderly took her hand in his. With a gentle tug, he pulled her close to his broad chest and wrapped his arms around her familiar frame as her hands locked themselves around the back of his neck.

She gazed up at him with slightly droopy eyes and an enchanted smile.

"So," he began before he could convince himself out of doing the very thing he'd been wanting to do since they'd met. "I'm probably going to really mess this up, but I have to get something out."

"What's up?"

"I love you. I love you so much. I don't know where I would be without you. You make me a better person, just by being you. When we first met, I knew you were the most beautiful, incredible, brilliant woman I'd ever met, and every day you somehow find a way to re-prove that to me. I can't imagine where I would be if it wasn't for you, and I never want to be without you."

His hands were shaking as he released his grip on her waist and fumbled in his pocket, finally gripping the small object.

Getting down on one knee, he held up an intricate, glittering ring and looked lovingly into her teary eyes, her mouth agape in surprise and awe.

Here it was. He was about to do it.

With an erratic heart, sweaty palms and one heck of a lot of courage, he asked her the scariest question of all time.

"Will you marry me, Felicity?"

🧡🍂🎃🌼🌆🍁🍄🌽📙🌕🐞🍺🌻🍊🏮🌅

word count: 1199

I hope this qualifies as "spooky/scary"! My original thought was that one of the most terrifying things for a man is has got to be taking the leap of faith to ask his love to spend forever with him. But, I wanted to make sure the story was spooky enough, so I thought it'd be interesting to frame it as if the man going to do something evil to a girl he'd been stalking, but then switch it to the truth of them being a couple and him asking her the ultimate scary question.

Did I execute that well or did I totally fail? 😝

Anyway, thanks so much for reading! 🤗 This is only my second publication of any type on Wattpad so I'm super nervous to know that someone is actually going to read my writing lol!

Kay byeeee🌙🧡🌟