Personal Narrative

(This was an assignment for English class, so I'm using it)

Butter Currency.
A story written and told by: (Author-chan ain't giving away her name)

Every year, my old school has the grade 8 population go on what is commonly called "The Ottawa Trip". It's a 4 day trip from the second last Tuesday to the Friday of the school year. So, like any normal grade 8, I went along with the 80 other students who payed the money, including some good friends of mine. We had all heard stories of what it was like, so we were all excited to different degrees. I, along with my roommate during the week, were on the more excited side from what we had heard about it.

Every year for diner on the Wednesday, the people on the trip go to a diner and dance event that evening. They give you an hour to put on nicer clothing, so they don't want you wearing sweat pants and a hoodie the entire time. So I put on a nicer T-shirt, a long light blue skirt, and the jean jacket that I constantly stole from my roommate, who didn't care, and joined my friends in the lobby. When we arrived at the location for the diner and dance, none of us knew what to expect, so we just walked in and were guided to where our group was sitting in. The room everyone was in was filled with table for about half of it, so of course, our group decided on the table in the far back corner of the room. You could smell the food from where we were. The rest of the room was taken up by food or dance space, so we had the only actual corner table in the space. There were a total of 9 of us sitting at that table, Darah, Bea, Caitlyn, Ryan, Olivia, Lucas, Eric, Gabe and myself.

After we had all gone up to get food the first time(I only got pasta and bread rolls), we all sporadically went up for seconds, and certain people at our table decided to grab extra butter. We all thought nothing off it until two member started debating who could gather more butter, and then proceeded to get more butter, along with some bread so it looked more normal. But while they were gone, so other people started to steal some of there butter, and started throwing it to the opposite 'team'. This escalated into chasing people around the table, pretending to talk to people just so we could grab some of their butter, and creating a hierarchy. Whoever had the most butter was basically our version of royalty, so things got interesting. One of those our teachers noticed and came over when we were waiting for the dance portion to start. Thankfully, he was one of the best teachers I've had, and didn't really care that much as long as we weren't hurting each other.

So after all this, the dance part occurs and only a few of us really continued dancing the entire time. The slow songs were the only time a good chunk of us would stop. None of us took any of it seriously so we ended up goofing off and laughing a lot. Then, after around 45 minutes of dancing, the teacher who came over to us earlier came back and said one thing. . . . "I'M BRINGING ALL OF YOU BUTTER TOMORROW"! He yelled over the sound of cheesy pop music. A lot of cheering was followed. And that is why I can no longer look at butter without laughing.