Chapter 16 - Rehearsals

Another 2 weeks past and it was soon my day to go rehearse with the rest of the featured players. Jimmy and the rest of the crew didn’t have to be there for 2 days. I felt alone, but ready to give it my all. I walked into the writer’s office, coffee in hand and sat next to Seth. We were all waiting for Lorne to arrive to tell us our tasks.

“You guys excited?” Higgins said, grabbing a coffee and sitting in the chair adjacent to me.

“Too excited, I wasn’t able to sleep last night.” Seth spoke excitedly.

“How about you Zoey? Jimmy told you all the secrets yet?” Higgins laughed and looked at me.

“Oh yeah, quite a few of them.” I whispered.

Lorne walked in with his briefcase in hand and sat down in the chair at the top of the table, grinning at all the writers and Seth, Dean, Jeff, and I.

“Good morning everyone. Writers, I trust you know our featured players already. If not, let me introduce them formally.” Lorne began pointing at us.

“This is Seth Meyers of New Hampshire, by way of Illinois. Pretty decent guy. Also a pretty nice writer. He might join this amazing team of writers soon. Dean Edwards, from the Bronx. Very funny man he is. Mr. Jeff Richards, of sunny Walnut Creek, California. Nice to have you here at SNL, I trust the folks over at MadTV are just as professional?”

Jeff nodded. “Yes sir, happy to be here.”

“And Miss Zoey Montague of Miami, Florida. If you don’t already know from their appearance at this year’s VMAs and Jimmy’s annoying screaming into the hallways about her, this is his girlfriend. I promise you all, her comedy is a sight to see. So let’s get this show on the road?! Here are the scripts that you all get to see before anyone else.”

The scripts were passed down the table and we got to read the scripts for the first week. Reese Witherspoon was the host, and they wrote me in for a skit with her. Lorne also explained that we’d be doing warm-up exercises and practice runs of made-up skits and the real thing. It’s what they do every season before opening week. And during opening week, Reese will come and practice with us.

After today’s practice, I walked to the elevators and Todd was standing there.

“Going down?” Todd pointed toward the elevator buttons. I nodded and clutched my purse, playing with my curls. The doors opened and we got in. I stood a pretty good distance away from him.

“How have you been?” He asked.

“Fine.”

“Me and Melanie are getting married in 2 months. I’d love it if you came.”

“I’ll see what I can do.” I sighed and brushed some hair from my face. Todd immediately ran over to me and kissed me. He pinned my hand on the wall and I used my other hand to scratch his face.

“Fuck!” He shouted in pain.

“What the fuck do you thin-”

The elevator doors opened and there stood Jimmy.
“What’s wrong?” Jimmy asked, pulling me toward him by his arm.

“This asshole kissed me.” I wiped my mouth with my arm.

“Man, I swear I didn’t.” Todd put his hands up and looked at me.

“Lying bastard.” I slapped his face and Todd jumped at me, ready to hit me. Jimmy pushed him up against a wall and punched his jaw.

“Stay away from us. Don’t you ever touch her.” Jimmy loosened his grip on Todd and Todd adjusted his shirt and walked out of the lobby. I looked over to Jimmy who was holding his red and throbbing hand.