Chapter 5

"What's up with you today, man?" Hunk asked carefully. He swam beside Lance as they made their way home from school.

They were on their usual route, a path that wound through a large seaweed forest and lead to their village. They lived next door to each other, and had been best friends since either of them could remember

"I'm in love," Lance said, starry-eyed.

"You say that every day," Hunk pointed out.

"Yeah, but this time I mean it."

"You say that every day, too."

"Whatever," Lance scoffed, his voice still carrying the dramatic tone that let Hunk know he was joking, "I wouldn't expect you to understand love."

"I've been with Shay for over a year now," Hunk reminded him, "You, on the other hand, haven't managed to keep a girlfriend for more than a week."

"But this time it's different, really!" Lance suddenly took on a childlike excitement, and Hunk almost believed him.

"How so?" He asked skeptically.

"Well, for one thing, it's a boy, not a girl," Lance said matter-of-factly.

He trailed off reluctantly, eyes darting to the side. He was hiding something.

"And for a second thing...?" Hunk prompted him to continue.

Lance looked like he was about to burst with some newfound secret. He looked around to make sure they were alone.

"You have to promise me that you won't tell a soul." Lance's voice was suddenly hushed, and Hunk gulped. He wasn't very good at keeping secrets; it made him nervous.

Still, Lance looked so happy, and he needed to know who this mysterious boy was. Hunk mimed zipping his lips, threw away the key, and saluted.

"It's a human!" Lance blurted, "A human boy! And he's super hot, like long dark hair, bright eyes, strong face kind of hot-"

"Wait, hold on." Hunk had slowed to a stop, and Lance swam back to his side. "A human?!" he whispered, "Are you kidding me?"

The grin on Lance's face faded away. "No," he said quietly, staring at the seafloor.

"How did you even meet a human?!" Hunk asked, nervous fiddling with the short yellow fins that plumed from his waist.

Lance rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, I was out swimming near the beach-" he ignored the look Hunk gave him, "-and I saw him and thought he was really pretty, so I went back the next night and talked to him."

Hunk was ready to explode. "You talked to him?! Lance, you're joking, right? Because this is serious-"

"His name is Keith."

Hunk didn't respond, just pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to breathe through the sudden wave of nausea that had overtaken him.

"I'm going back to see him tonight."

Hunk took a few more breaths as the sickening fear intensified. Lance was going to get himself killed.

"You can't tell anyone, especially not Allura, please Hunk-"

"Fine. I won't tell."

"Oh my god, thank you so much, you're-"

"But." Hunk held up a finger to cut off Lance's gushing. "You have to take me with you."

Lance deflated.

"Come on, man," Hunk said softly, "I just wanna make sure you're okay. You know how humans are."

"I know how people like you say humans are," Lance muttered, "But fine, you can come."

Hunk just shook his head. "I hope you know what you're doing..."

"I never know what I'm doing," Lance attempted to make a joke, but it did nothing to ease Hunk's nerves.

They swam in silence for a few moments. They were approaching the end of the forest, and as they exited, a merman with long white hair and purple skin approached them.

"Greetings, Lance," Lotor said, eyes shining. "Hunk," he added as an afterthought.

Hunk rolled his eyes.

"Hi, Lotor..." Lance replied, glancing uneasily at Hunk.

Hunk, ever-so-slightly, moved closer to Lance. Lotor wouldn't notice, but he hoped Lance would.

"Lance, I was wondering if you would be willing to accompany me tonight," Lotor flashed a blinding grin, "We could get dinner, maybe?"

Lance twisted his fingers into the strand of pearls around his waist so hard they began to turn purple. "Uh, sorry," Lance said slowly, clearing stalling. His eyes lit up as he landed on an excuse. "Me and Hunk have something to do tonight, actually. Sorry."

Lance pushed past Lotor and continued on the path to their houses. Lotor didn't get the hint, however, and trailed behind him.

"Perhaps I could come with you?"

Hunk gritted his teeth. "Sorry, Lotor," he butted in, "It's sort of a bro thing, you know? Just me and Lance."

Lotor's smile faltered. "Ah, yes. Another time, then?" he asked Lance expectantly.

Lance hesitated. "Yeah. Maybe."

Lotor gave a curt nod, his eyes lingering on Lance for an extra second, and swam off. Lance huffed out a sigh, letting his shoulders relax.

"What a creep," he grimaced.

"Total creep," Hunk agreed.

"What does he even want with me?"

"A date, apparently," Hunk said, stating the obvious.

"When's he gonna get it in his head that I will never go out with him?" Lance wrinkled his nose.

"Have you met the guy?" Hunk asked, "I'd place my bets on never."

Lance groaned.

After a few more moments of swimming, they reached Lance's house.

"I'll see you later." Lance gave a little wave and turned to go inside.

Hunk caught his arm. "What's the plan for tonight?" he asked in a low voice.

"I was hoping you'd forget about that." Lance sighed. "Meet me at the edge of the forest at midnight, okay?"

"We're sneaking out of our house?" Hunk gaped. Lance was asking him to majorly break curfew.

"You don't have to come along," Lance pointed out.

"Fine." Hunk frowned. "I'll be there."

A/N Look, I like the idea of Lotor being creepily in love with Lance, okay? Fight me.

Also, I'll say it right now, I have no idea if I'll finish this. It's fun, but I don't love it, and I have no idea if I'll care to write or do anything Voltron-related after Season 8 is over. Idk I guess we'll see. 

I mean, would anyone be devastated if I discontinued this?