2x16 The House Guest

Start from the beginning

Well, Nik certainly didn't waste any time. Although I wasn't sure why he didn't show up himself. At least, this gave me the chance to get to know his sister a little. I exchanged a quick look with Matt who nodded "Erm, we're going there now, actually. You're welcome to join us?"

"Thanks," Rebekah smiled in relief "I'm Rebekah Mikaelson, by the way."

Matt shook her hand "I'm Matt Donovan. That's my friend Angel Gilbert."

"Hey," I waved "I'm guessing you just moved?"

Rebekah nodded "Yes. I'm close to regretting it though."

I snorted "Don't worry. It's not that bad and it's close to summer vacation."

"Just more time for painting, am I right?" Matt nudged my shoulder.

"Of course," I smirked "That's what the school free time is for… Anything that's not school."

The blond boy coughed "No shit, Sherlock."

"Well," I murmured "I wasn't expecting you to understand. After all, it's elementary, my dear Watson." I caught Matt's gaze and we burst out laughing.

After a minute or two, he was poking me, still laughing "We should stop," he snorted "Otherwise the new girl will think we're weird."

I took one look at Rebekah and shook my head sagely "Me thinks it's too late for that."

"You always know how to make the best first impression, Angel," Matt nodded seriously.

I hit his shoulder "Shut up."

"It's alright," the Original waved off with a smirk on her lips "It's quite amusing, to be honest."

"We're here," I pointed out, walking into the History classroom to see Ric sitting at his desk, looking bored "Hey, Ric. What's up?"

The teacher looked up, his gaze going to the girl standing a bit behind me "Angel, Matt. Who is that?"

"I'm Rebekah Mikaelson," the blonde introduced herself "It's nice to meet you, Mr…"

"Right," Ric nodded "Alaric Saltzman."

I jumped to sit on his desk "Also know as Ric. Apparently, calling him that is better than mangling his name… I never got why 'Alaric' is so hard to say."

"Shush, brat," he rolled his eyes.

"You're the one dating my aunt," I shrugged "It's your own fault for getting into this situation." Ric groaned, causing me to smirk. He was such an easy target sometimes. Also… It was kind of fun to act like myself again. I loved bantering with people I liked.

The rest of the week passed quickly and Rebekah and I soon became friends. She was actually quite fun to hang out with, although she didn't seem to like Elena… I introduced her to the others who – after a bit of lying on the blonde's part – accepted her into the 'Save Elena' group. When I started to belong to that, I wasn't sure. She's my sister… I didn't really want her to die but I wanted Nik to become the person he was supposed to be. Maybe there really was a way for the Doppelgänger to survive the ritual. Something that doesn't involve being turned into a vampire.

Speaking of vampires. Apparently, Katherine had escaped the tomb after Elijah got daggered. I hadn't seen her though, so I wasn't sure whether it was true or not. It most likely was… Since it was Katherine, I doubted that it would take long for her to show up and mess with things. She was very good at that after all.

"Angel?" Rebekah spoke up during lunch "Do you get the Maths assignment?"

I looked up at her, putting my pencil down "Yeah, why?"

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do," she admitted with a shrug.

"How about you come with me after school and I'll explain it to you?" I offered. We hadn't really hung out after school except for the meetings but I didn't really mind getting closer to the Original. And not just because she was Nik's sister.

After the last class, Rebekah and I walked to my car. The trip home was spent laughing at random things we came up with. I pulled into the driveway to see everyone out. Jenna and Jeremy were with Uncle John today, while Elena usually stayed with Stefan. I stopped at the front door and turned to the blonde Original "I'll invite you in but you have to promise me something."

Rebekah tilted her head "Alright?"

"Don't use it to hurt my family," I told her "I would hate to have to hurt a friend."

"Huh," she blinked "I make no promises for Elena."

I snorted and rolled my eyes "Good enough for me. Would you like to come in?"

"Why thank you, my lady," the blonde curtsied, following me into the house and up the stairs to my room "I know Hero. What's the other dog called?"

I looked at her to see Blue padding after us "That's Blue," I smiled fondly "He was my first Service Dog. Had to retire him a few months ago and got Hero."

"You never did say," she bit her lip hesitatingly "Why do you need a Service Dog?"

I flopped down on my bed "It's a long story. One that I really don't feel like telling right now. Sorry."

She waved me off "No, no. It's fine. You don't have to tell me anything."

"Right," I clapped my hands "What don't you get about the assignment?"

"Everything," Rebekah groaned "I just don't understand the topic at all."

"Don't worry," I smirked, walking over to my desk to get two of my books and a notebook. Since my desk wasn't the tidiest, I ignored the papers that fell off when I shuffled them around to find what I was looking for.

I only looked up when I heard Rebekah's gasp "You're Nik's girlfriend," she breathed, staring at the photos in her hand.

"Ah," I sighed "Yes. Well, it was bound to come out eventually."

"Thank you," the Original murmured, still studying the photos intently.

I tilted my head in confusion "Why?"

"You changed Nik," she explained "I haven't seen him this… happy in centuries. Not since we were human. So… Thank you." That was actually… not what I was expecting. She was a lot calmer than I thought she would be. I didn't think she would thank me. It's not like I had done anything but be myself.

"You're welcome, I guess. But he helped me a lot as well," I told her "I don't know how to explain it but… He makes me feel like I'm actually worth something."

Rebekah just nodded and grabbed the books I was holding "So, explain the science of polynomial."