2x02 Brave New World

I was sitting in the Lockwoods' living room along with Damon and Carol. Today was the day of the carnival or something and after a few periods, we were left to the preparations. Of course, me being who I was immediately escaped.

"So I understand John Gilbert left town," Carol said, looking at me for a moment "Have they found the vampire that attacked him?"

Damon shrugged "Well, the sheriff has asked me to take the lead on that and I promise you I will get to the bottom of it."

"Which brings me to my next subject," the newly widowed woman sighed "With Richard gone, I'll be acting as interim mayor until the elections and I'm going to need someone to spearhead out the council. I'd take that person to be you."

"Whatever you need, Carol," the vampire bowed his head "As a founding family member it's something that's very close to me, so I would be honoured to help keep this town safe from vampires. And since Angel is here, maybe we should discuss adding her to the council at least part-time."

I looked up in surprise "What?"

Damon put an arm around my shoulders "Well, with what happened with Vicki, Fell and the tomb vampires, I think you have earned a space there. Don't you agree, Carol?"

"I'm not sure," the older woman hesitated "She is only a child after all."

"I'm not a child," I disagreed "I might be younger but that doesn't mean that I don't know about the monsters that live in the world. If you don't want me to be on the Council, I won't." I stopped talking when I heard Mason and Tyler falling through the front door after exercising. Carol immediately stood up and closed the door of the living room.

"Is it safe to talk?" Damon tilted his head.

Carol sighed "It's my brother-in-law, Mason. He's still visiting. I just don't want him to hear us. He didn't want any part of the Council when he lived here and I see no reason to bring him into it now." Damon spaced out slightly, probably listening in on the conversation outside "More tea? Damon?"

"Oh, yes, please," the vampire startled "Thank you, Carol."

I shook my head "No thanks. If that was everything, I should probably..."

"No, wait," the older woman interrupted "There's something I need your help with. Richard had these notes on the device and his plan with your uncle. Could you do me a favour and look through them, see if you find anything of note?"

"What exactly would I be looking for?" I frowned.

She ran a hand through her hair "Anything about the vampires in the tomb and the town. I would do it myself but there's so much I have to do now... Additionally, it would keep you away from the carnival."

I laughed "You know what to say to me, don't you?"

"Maybe," she smiled "You know that you can't avoid all of the important days in this town? I won't let you, not now that you are one of the more renowned people in this town."

I groaned "Really? Oh well, as long as you're aware that I will still try. Where are the notes?"

"In the safe. I'll open it for you," she told me, getting up "I will be right back, Damon."

"Don't worry about it, Carol," the vampire waved off.

Mrs. Lockwood lead me to her late husband's office and opened the safe for me "I trust you, Angel. Please only look at the documents that I asked you to."

"I promise, Carol. I do have to look them over though, just to see whether they have anything to do with it," I told her worriedly.

"That's alright. As long as you're discreet about what you learn but I doubt you would tell anyone. That's why you're the candidate I chose," she smiled, patting my shoulder "I'll leave you now. Just close the safe once you're done and tell me if you find anything."