Bonding

Aspen was milling about in the festivities that were being prepared. They were set to begin once the sun started to set, after King Claudus gave a speech to commemorate everything, of course.

"Shouldn't you be playing royal guard? After all, the King and both his sons are about to make a public appearance," A male voice teased.

"And shouldn't you be watching from the city walls for any dangers?" Aspen asked with a chuckle as she turned to look at the cat who was speaking to her.

The cat, was Aspen's older brother, Locke.

Locke couldn't help but let out a laugh, "I'm off-duty right now, like I assume you are."

"It's good to see you, brother," Aspen said going to hug her brother.

Locke returned Aspen's hug with a small chuckle.

"It's good to see you're doing well," Aspen said with a small smile as she looked up at her brother.

"And your hair is more white than brown now," Locke said, lightly grabbing the hair that was secured in front of her ears.

"Oh, come on. It only looks like that in the front," Aspen said as she gently side-swiped her brother's hand.

"Hey, I heard that they're going to be having a tournament in the arena," Locke said, nudging his sister, "We should give it a try."

"You'd lose," Aspen said with a wry smile.

"You never know. I have been training in the army for a few years now."

"And I've been trained as a Cleric."

"We both were. But, I bet that if neither of us use our speed, I'd win," Locke said with a proud smile as he crossed his arms.

Aspen gave a playful punch to her brother's upper arm, and he feigned being hurt, rubbing where Aspen's fist made contact. She then placed her paws on her hips before looking up at the sky.

"It's almost sunset. King Claudus is going to be giving his speech soon to commence the festival," Aspen pointed out.

Locke looked up at the sky, "I guess you're right. Let's head to the royal plaza then."

With that, the two siblings made their way to where many Thunderians were gathering to hear the speech from their King.

From the crowd, Aspen could see their grandfather, General Grune, whom the festivities were in honor of, Princes Tygra and Lion-O, and of course, King Claudus.

"It was many seasons ago when I sent out Generals Grune and Panthro to find the fabled Book of Omens," King Claudus started, "While it remains lost, Grune has returned with tales of adventure, great treasure, and new lands to conquer. So today, we show him our appreciation."

The cats that were in the plaza gave out cheers and applauded the General. Locke let out a cheer as well while Aspen gave only a small applause.

"Please, enjoy yourselves tonight, for it is a night to celebrate," King Claudus bellowed before another round of cheers were given.

Locke and Aspen wandered the plaza, telling each other stories about what had occurred since Locke had officially joined the Thunderian Army, while also enjoying the food and drinks that were being offered around.

After a while, the siblings found themselves walking past a pair of stockades, which each held captive a lizard.

A few kittens could be seen throwing fruit at the lizards, causing Aspen to let out a sigh.

"Hey, cut it out," A male voice broke through the sounds of the festivities.

The kittens ran away laughing while Lion-O walked to where they had been standing in front of the lizards. The crowned Prince then looked at the lizards before approaching the one on his right.

"Please, Your Majesty, show mercy!" The lizard begged.

"Why should I? If the roles were reversed you'd have lopped my head off by now," Lion-O said flatly.

"We were only scavenging for food, when we were captured as slaves!"

"Forget it!" The other lizard hissed, "Looking for mercy from cats, is like trying to squeeze water from a stone."

"Hold your tongue, fool! He'll kill us!"

"No, I wanna hear this," Lion-O said, his tone calmer than earlier.

This caused Aspen's ears to perk up a bit.

"What do you mean?" Lion-O asked the lizard to his left.

"We only attack to survive," The second lizard started, his voice gravelly, "You control the best lands and resources, leaving the rest of the animals to fight over scraps! If we steal your crops, it is to feed our children."

"Aspen, let's go," Locke said in a quiet, low voice, placing a paw on her shoulder.

Aspen shook her head, "No, not yet."

From the corner of her eye, Aspen then saw Tygra sauntering towards Lion-O.

"You're not taking this criminal seriously, are you?" Tygra asked as he threw an arm across Lion-O's shoulders.

"Criminal?" The lizard to the left of them, "The lizards' only crime, is being weaker than the cats! And it's the same for all animals."

The lizard then let out a low hiss at the Princes.

"Let's go. It's time for the games," Tygra said before leaving towards the arena.

Lion-O turned, and hesitated for only a moment before leaving towards the arena.

Aspen then let out a small sigh.

"What?" Locke asked.

"Lion-O was tested with the Sword earlier today. Grandfather believes that Lion-O saw something with the Sword, but he didn't admit it. King Claudus then scolded him for supposedly remaining childish. I worry that he is now in crisis about what to do," Aspen said, her eyes following the Crowned Prince as he left the area.

"I think all that training to be a candidate for Head Cleric is making you see more than you need to, Aspen," Locke said, "He's only the same age as you. And yeah, you both have been given big roles to try and fulfill, but you shouldn't be worrying about it yet.

"I know! Tygra said that the games were going to start soon. What's say you and I actually have a match against each other? I'm sure that will take your mind off of things!"

Aspen looked to her brother and let out a small sigh as she shook her head,

"Alright, fine. But don't think that you're going to win just because you've been in the army for a few years."