Why?

They'd been partners for a few months now, Gavin and RK900, who started going by Conan after he went deviant. Outsiders were amazed to see that they had gotten close. Gavin had always claimed to hate androids. But what they didn't see were the moments that took place behind closed doors. The soft humming coming from Conan after Gavin's anxiety attack. The night Gavin fell asleep with his head on his partners shoulder, who (although he'd never say it) looked at the other man with an affection he'd never dreamed of before. Gavin, despite his constant mental scolding, started to develop a crush on the android. It wasn't just any crush though. He ached when Conan wasn't around. He felt his face heat up when anyone even mentioned the others name. Hank, who was now in a relationship with an android himself, loved to make fun of Gavin. But somehow, they all managed to keep it from Conan himself.

That is until one night.

It started out normally. There was an alert of an active shooter with a hostage. It wasn't common, but this is Detroit. It's not exactly uncommon either. So when Gavin and Conan were the first ones called in, they weren't too worried.

Conan had been talking to the shooter for a while now, trying to keep him from shooting the teenaged girl in his arms. Things were getting more tense by the minute.

"Please. Calm down. She's done nothing wrong. Put the gun down, and everything will be okay."

"Bull. I'm sick of being pushed around. Its time for me to take charge"

It was at this moment that time seemed to slow. The shooter took the gun off the temple of his hostage, which gave Conan less than a millisecond of relief before the gun was placed in his path. Before he could even register what was happening, Gavin jumped in front of him. The gun went off, piercing through Gavin's hip.

"no, no, no, Gavin, NO!" Synthetic tears with real emotion behind them fell down Conan's face, and through his peripheral vision he saw the shooter be taken down by police. With that out of his mind, he focused purely on Gavin, falling to his knees to be closer to his friend.

"Hey, hey, Gavin, you'll be okay!! Look at me. Please, just look at me!" Conan said, progressing into a yell.

"Y-y'know, tin-can... If s-someone had told me a few m-months ago that I'd take a bullet for an a-android, I'd have told them t-theyre crazy."

"Gavin-"

"No, s-shut up. I'm n-not done. As I was s-saying, I also would've t-told them they were c-crazy if they said I-I'd fall for an android. But h-here I a-am..."

"Gavin, I love you. Please don't go. You can't tell me you return my feelings and then die! Please! Please!"

"I... I love you too, tin-can." his eyes started to close.

"No! No, no, no, no, no, no!! Please don't! Please don't go! Please!"

Paramedics pushed Conan away, picking up Gavin in a strecher. It was only now that he saw the amount of blood on the ground. Numbers appeared into Conan's vision: "probability of survival: 30%"
He once again broke into loud sobs. "please Gavin.... Please be okay."

~a few hours later~

Conan sat in the waiting room
of the hospital. His tears were mostly dried, but every few moments a new one would fall. Hank and Connor sat beside him, worried as well. When a doctor came out and asked for the family of Gavin Reed, all three jumped up.

"We had to do multiple surgeries, since he lost a lot of blood. However, he'll be okay."  
He'll be okay.

The floodgates were opened once again. Conan sobbed, muttering, "thank you, thank you, thank you" partly to the doctor, and partly to any God that was out there.

"He can have visitors, but only one at a time." Conan looked to Hank and Connor, who both smiled and nodded. He looked to the doctor, who told him the room number. He broke into a run, wanting to get to Gavin as soon as possible.

Once he found the room, he went inside, trying to be quiet just in case. He saw Gavin awake, sitting up with tubes going all through his body. Conan froze in his spot.

"What, is there a skip in your program or something?"

Gavin and Conan both broke into huge smiles. Conan ran to him, tears still streaming down his cheeks. They hugged so tightly that Gavin had to tap on the Android's shoulder and say, "y-youre hurting me" Conan immediately released slightly, and although they were in an uncomfortable position they continued to hold each other.

"Why would you do that?" Conan whispered. "I can be replaced. You can't."
Gavin released him and looked into his eyes before saying, "because, as hard as I tried to deny it, I love you. I love you, Tin can. With my whole being. Despite how annoying you can be sometimes."

Conan smiled before lifting Gavin's chin with his fingers. "i love you too" they kissed with a passion stronger than most people felt in their whole lives. It wasnt heated, it was loving and caring. And with this one kiss, their whole lives changed.

A/N: fun story about this one shot... I was rough housing with my older sister and her husband stole my phone. When I got it back, this is what the book said:

 When I got it back, this is what the book said: