Don't Ever Say Goodbye (Jelsa One-Shot)

Queen Elsa of Arrendelle sat in one of the many studies that decorated the castle. She was leaning over an ancient text which was faintly recognizable from years before. Her tired eyes scrolled past yellowed pages, looking for anything to do with ice magic, how it's conjured, or where it comes from. Genetics, other magic, there was no way to be sure.

Almost silently the door behind her opened, and a pig-tailed princess stepped through the passage. Her freckled face lit up with excitement. "Hello Anna," the queen called out over her shoulder.

Princess Anna of Arrendelle huffed, her bangs rising up with disappointment. "I'll never understand how you can do that," She sighed, biting her lip as she approached her sister. "You and mom, always able to know who's a few steps behind."

"Mom was always wonderful with people," Elsa agreed, her eyes never leaving the page. "Although it's best not to talk about that right now. Besides, I thought you and Kristoff were going to show Olaf the harvest festival."

Anna's eyes seem to light even brighter at the prospect of the event. "Well, yeah." She said, dancing slightly in her bubbly, happy excitement. "And I was actually hoping for you to come along," Anna seemed to run the rest of the way to stand beside Elsa, leaning over her and looking at the large book. "Oh, here." She said after a moment, holding out a small letter. "It's mine. Well, I mean, it's yours, but I made it. Well, wrote it. Although I bought the paper from Oaken, so-"

"It's lovely," Elsa smiled, raising a hand to silence her sister and turning to her for the first time. Taking the letter Elsa unfolded it and read the paper:

You Majesty Queen Elsa, Please consider this a formal invitation for your attendance to the Harvest Festival. Sincerely you sister, Anna.

The words were scrawled on the paper in a way which was purely Anna. With the word invitation scrawled out and rewritten, and her slightly crooked cursive it was clear how eager her sister was about the event.

"Thank you Anna," Elsa sighed, looking up with warm eyes to her younger sister. "It's touching that you care so much."

"I also care enough to have a whole bottle of ink on one of my nicer dresses, hence this one." Anna said as she gestured to her functional, although not very princess-like attire. "Well that and it's comfortable," She  laughed. "Anyway, I'm hoping it was worth it?" Her hands folded across her chest to try braving her request.

Elsa scanned the letter again, then turned slightly back to the table to look at the book. "I don't know Anna," She sighed. "I've got a lot of work to do."

Anna's distress at the response was obvious, her shoulders hunched forward and eyes went to the ground. "Elsa," She sighed with disappointment. "Please, it's got to be better than reading that old book." She waved a hand at the desk. "I know your looking for answer -and that's great- but it's a special day."

"I just... I want to know why," Elsa sighed, turning her attention back to the heavy book resting on the desk. "I want to understand what happen to me."

"Elsa," Anna insisted, resting a hand on her sister's shoulder. "I promise that even if something did 'happen' to you, it's not important." She raised her hand to Elsa's pale hair, frizzing in as an attempt to lighten her sister's mood. "This is how you are. Why can't that be enough?"

The queen looked up at her sister and smiled. "It is enough." Moving the younger girl's hand Elsa rose from her chair and closed the book, trying to show her point through actions. "Sometimes I just... wonder. Do you know what I mean?"

Anna nodded, her pigtails flailing with her actions. "That's why you should come down to the harvest festival. It only happens once a year you know, and it's a great way to get your mind off of things." Another bright smile was sent between the two before Anna did a short twirl on her heels. "At least consider it. Everyone would love to see the Queen, and I'd love to spend a little time with my sister." Pouting to put weight behind her statement Anna began to head for the door.