But that wasn't how things were going to work. I was marrying a man that hated me. Any chance I had at finding love was gone. The most I could do was hope he gave us a chance to be friends. Friends I could deal with. I accepted that we would only be married legally and that was probably it.

I hardly noticed the doors swing open until Anya nudged me. She met my eyes with a nod of assurance. Even though she was kind and everyone aside from Edric had been welcoming, I never felt more alone in my life. No one knew anything about me except my name and age. Otherwise, I was a total stranger.

My chest clenched painfully as I forced myself to take the steps to match Edric's. I wasn't sure how I made it, but before I knew it we were standing in front of an elder. He started the ceremony; I listened in a daze. I heard the words, but felt like I was in a fog. He could have been talking for a minute or an hour.

I felt hundreds of eyes on me. Even Edric looked down at me in confusion. I met his eyes and saw a quick flash of concern.

"Amina?" He prompted.

My mouth was dry as bone. I turned back to the elder, suspecting he asked me a question.

His eyes lifted in question. "Do you accept His Royal Highness, Prince Edric Novikov as your husband?"

I nodded. "Yes."

My voice never shook, never wavered.

The elder nodded once. "The elders accept this royal union. Edric and Amina, do you accept and understand the responsibility of ruling our species when the time comes for the throne to pass to you?"

We agreed in unison.

"With the power vested in me by the seven elders, I present their Royal Highnesses Crowned Prince Edric Novikov and Duchess Amina Novikov, future king and queen of werewolves."

I let out the breath I was holding, but kept a tight grip on my emotions. Letting even one slip meant disaster. It was done. We were married, but I didn't feel any better about it. If anything, I felt worse. Neither of us could have an actual chance to fall in love. I was sure he felt just as shitty as I did.

Instead of kissing me or taking my hand, he looked at me with expectant eyes and took a step forward. I knew he wanted me to follow him. It was in my best interest to do so.

I stayed next to Edric's side as we walked back the way we came. No relief in sight, no closure to make either party feel better. All I could think about was running. I didn't want to be married. I was too young and I didn't know him. I didn't want to start having kids. I was in no shape, way, or form ready for kids. Hell, I didn't even want to have sex with him, but I knew it was what I had to do. I wasn't going to start our marriage off by refusing sex. The more he touched me, the easier it would get.

At least, that was what I told myself.

I swallowed hard as we stepped into the hallway, totally alone for the first time. I didn't know what to do or say. I couldn't even remember the ceremony. I was panicking and I knew it.

"Dominic, take her back to our bedroom and do not let her leave," Edric instructed.

"So am I a prisoner now?" I blurted.

Only a soft roll of his golden eyes showed his true irritation. "If you're walking around on our wedding night, people will suspect we are not having sex which is a wedding night obligation."

"Oh," I replied, embarrassed. "Well where are you going?"

"To drink. I'll be back later."

"Why are you allowed to walk around and drink? People will see you too."