Unmasked

Three Autumns ago on Hallows Eve, at a masked ball, I encountered a mysterious stranger with dark, enticing curls. We danced, drank, and ended the night on a stranger's bed. That evening we made a pact to see each other every year on this very same night, without exposing our true identities as part of the hair-raising thrill of the first encounter.

That twilight evening, we agreed to meet the following year. We bought burner phones to stay anonymous and contact one another only once, before the event. This year, to my delight, he surprised me and brought us to enticing Venice.

However exciting, this year my curiosity got the best of me, and I'm determined to find out who he is.

The morning sun reflects in the blue of my eyes and the wind dances with my hair as we approach the hotel

The morning sun reflects in the blue of my eyes and the wind dances with my hair as we approach the hotel. My breath catches in my chest before I'm able to release it. Why have I never been to a place of such beauty before?

Upon entering the room, the wood-framed, picture windows display a gorgeous, panoramic view of The Piazza San Marcos. Wonderstruck, my mouth open as I shake in disbelief.

Looking around the room I try to take every detail, when a black and white, striped, gift-wrapped box, laying on the bed, with silver ribbons catches my eye.

Wear this tonight. Lorenzo will pick you up at 9:30.
P.S. I've left instructions with the concierge so you can get shoes. There are clothes in the closet for you.

Giggling at the note like a six-year-old child, I tore at the wrapper. In the box, the most delicate and sexiest dress I've ever seen. Perplexed, I press the material between my fingers. It has a golden, translucent sheen to it and it's almost too short. Enlivened I leave to find my shoes.

Walking the narrow streets in an electrified haze, I dreamily smile when the phone buzzes. My lips lift at the corners as I see my best friend's photo on the screen.

"Hey sweetness," I say overwhelmingly happy.

"What's up with you?" He paused. "You sound weird."

"What do you mean weird?"

"Too happy weird. Who are you, and what have you done to my friend?!" He mocks.

"Don't be stupid Alan!" I laugh, "guess where I'm at."

"Supermarket?"

I roll my eyes, only he would guess such a mundane place. "Much more exciting than that!"

He sighs obviously annoyed thinking for a moment, "fuck, how should I know? Bowling alley?"

Giggling I pause for drama... "Venice!"

"Venice?!"