Chapter 1

It was Christmas time at Hogwarts. It was the day that students were heading home--  or staying at school-- to celebrate Christmas holidays.

This was Lucy Wright's favorite time of the year. She loved watching the snow fall, sledding and snowball fights, hot cocoa in front of the fireplace, Christmas carols, the smell of a Christmas tree, all the Christmas lights, and how cheerful it was at this time of the year.

Lucy was in her dormitory packing her warmest sweaters and her school books into her trunk as she prepared to go home for the holidays. Her roommates were chatting excitedly about their plans for the break but Lucy paid no attention to them.

Once packed, she hurried down the stairs as fast as she could considering her trunk in tow was quite heavy. She struggled not to tumble down the staircase and was met by a laughing Jessica Millstone-- her best friend since first year.

"Morning to you too, Jessie," huffed Lucy as she blew her hair out of her face.

"Y'know, if you needed help, you could have asked. Or, as any smart witch would have done, you could have levitated your trunk down the stairs," Jessica said with a smirk. Lucy rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at the friend.

The girls hauled their trunks out of the Ravenclaw common room and down flights upon flights of stairs to the Great Hall entrance. 

Out of breath, Lucy greeted Lily Evans who had been speaking with Rose Kendrick.

"Hey, Lucy. Jessica. Are you excited for the holidays?" Lily greeted. "Rose and I were just talking about the Potters' Christmas Ball. Are you guys going this year?"

Lucy's family had gone every year since the Potters had first begun their Christmas Ball. Mr. Wright was a pureblood and Mrs. Wright was a muggleborn; Mr. Wright had been childhood friends with Fleamont Potter. Lucy's parents never made her go with to the Ball until last year. As a child, they had thought she would be too bored so she was allowed to have a sleepover with her friends and her grandparents would watch her for the night.

"Yes, I'll be there, I hope we can get the chance to talk more while we're there," said Lucy.

"My family is going to Spain for the holidays so I won't be able to go with Lucy this time," Jessica added.

Jessica was a muggleborn, and one of Lucy's closest friends. Lucy would normally have sleepovers with Jessica the night of the ball each year, and she had been Lucy's date to the ball the previous winter.

"That sounds amazing, Jessie! I wish I could go to Spain instead of suffering in the cold here," Rose responded.

The girls turned upon hearing Filch shouting above all the noise that it was time for the students to get to the Hogwarts Express. The students filed out of the castle and towards the station.

Lucy and Jessica found a compartment near the end of the train. Rose said goodbye to Lily and joined them. 

After a few minutes of chattering, Raven Wheelock opened the compartment and sat in the open seat next to Lucy.

"Hey, girls, ready for holidays?" said Raven.

There was a chorus of yes and of course in response.

And the girls continued talking as the Hogwarts Express pulled out of Hogsmeade Station.