"not full-time employees," i said, gritting my teeth. "at least, not without asking me."

"you had better watch your tone, Katherine," she said.

"i want to work the shows on Fridays," i said. she shook her head.

"not anymore," she said.

"why not?" i asked. "that's not fair. i can't have three days off."

"well," she said, glaring back up at me. "maybe you should've thought about that."

i was in shock after those words came out of her mouth.

"what the fuck did i do wrong?" i asked angrily.

Jen didn't make eye-contact with me. "i suggest you get to work before i have to send you home."

i was so furious that tears filled my eyes as i left the office.

i went and sat behind the counter in my department, and tried to even out my breathing.

Mia approached me, and rested her elbows on the glass of the display case in front of me.

"she threatened to send me home," i said.

"then you should've left," Mia said, propping her chin on her hands. "i'd take the day off if she offered."

i chuckled half-heartedly. "god," i said. "i can't afford it now that she's taken a day away from me."

"why do you think she did that?" Mia whispered. "do you think it's because of Mr. Vedder?"

"it's definitely because of him," i said. "i'm guessing his wife called Jen or something last night."

"wait, why last night?" Mia asked.

"fuck, i didn't tell you," i said, rubbing my forehead frustratedly. "he invited me over for -" i raised my hands to use air quotes - "'ukulele lessons.'"

"oh, bad, bad idea," Mia said. "i love Willow, but she's a bit crazy."

"she invited me to stay for dinner," i said, closing my eyes and pinching the bridge of my nose.

"oh, christ," Mia said. "that's just her being bitter."

"i know," i said. "and i can't believe i was petty enough to stay."

"me either," Mia said, laughing softly. "so, you just hung out with him and played his ukulele?"

my anxiety was rising.

"well, uh," i started. "no, i mean...Willow had to go in to work halfway through dinner, so i stayed while Eddie tucked Sophia in, because she seemed to take a liking to me."

"okay..." Mia said. "and?"

i huffed in annoyance, and closed my eyes, leaning as close to Mia as i could to prevent anyone else from possibly overhearing.

"god, and then he pinned me to the wall by my wrists and..." she gasped.

"he kissed you?!" she asked loudly, and i pressed my index finger to my lips, shushing her.

"you cannot tell anyone," i said. "please."

"i won't," she said. "but, holy shit, Kat, that's...that's heavy."

i nodded. "i know."

"well, if you can't work Friday," Mia said. "you should come watch the show."

"why?"

"because he's performing again," she said.

"he is?"

"mhmm," she nodded. "Jen showed me the lineup for this week. and you can come watch him, and look cute. and not have to worry about being on the clock."