11. The Nightmare Before Christmas

            My dream for the past few days now had been the same. Well, it pertained to the same thing all the time: how I was going to kidnap Elena Watson. Ever since I placed the chip on her father, I was able to get the address. All I had to do was gather what I needed, and then I'd be off.

            I decided the time of the kidnapping would be night, as broad daylight was much riskier. It would have been a bolder move to try during the day, but I didn't want to risk witnesses. Still, if I had chosen the daytime, I would have taken care of them. Leaving behind an untraceable trail wouldn't be an issue for me.

            Today was the day, I decided. Tonight, I was going to do it with Heidi's help. I'd waited long enough. If I didn't do it soon, someone else would take my job. I wouldn't let that happen. It was my assignment and mine only.           

            It was a bit surprising to still have Jim lying next to me in the morning, I had to admit. Most mornings I woke up to find him gone from my room and sometimes gone from the mansion. He was a busy guy whose business never slept. I was lucky I wasn't like him. I could never do what he did and not manage to be driven crazy by it all.

            He had a wicked gift.

            "Today's the day," I murmured tiredly into my pillow.

            "I wish I was tagging along."

            "No, you don't. You've got better things to do than come along on a kidnapping." I stretched my arms out in front of me. "You need to keep up your reputation." He grabbed a hand of mine and kissed the back of it.

            "And you need to build yours," he reminded me. "Don't worry, you're getting there. A master status doesn't happen overnight."

            "It seems like it did for you." I grimaced.

            "I'm just that good."

            "Shouldn't you be somewhere?"

            "I should, but it's not for a while." I turned on my side, putting my head on his shoulder. "You're not nervous, are you?"

            "Not at all," I confirmed strongly. "Tonight will be easy, I'm sure of it. Whatever snags I hit I'll take care of."

            "Good."

            I shifted uncomfortably, feeling a light sting on my back. "Jesus, what the hell did you do last night?"

            "Don't act so surprised, you wanted to go rough."

            I winced. "I think I'm beginning to regret it."

            "You've never complained before about it."

            "It's probably because you didn't go as hard the past few times. This was extreme."

            "You're still alive, so stop complaining." He kissed my temple. "You'll be on your own for a few days, possibly. As soon as you leave, I am too."

            "What business do you need to take care of this time? Christmas shopping?"

            "Oh, right, it's coming, isn't it?"

            "We are in December. Don't tell me you'll be away just for shopping."

            "No. I'll be away for the usual. Now, tonight, remember what I said?"