Light on the picture

Start from the beginning

"Hibiki! Ren!" Eve sound half relieved as he spoke. "Kayra is stuck inside!" 

The light was coming closer, it's reflection warping off the surface of paintings surrounding her. She had to do something before it got her. Something to buy time until they could open the door. She took a deep breath, coughing at the dust that filtered into her lungs. Her fingers fumbled until they found the card in her holder. She tugged it out, holding it up between her and the light. "Summoning Magic: Card Seal!" She threw the card away from her, hoping it would catch the light in the seal she'd opened on its surface. 

The card did nothing, sticking to the surface before being thrown back at her. She ducked at the last second, wincing as the speed of the throw buried the card in a painting just behind her. Whatever this was, she couldn't beat it with normal magic. Needing to give herself time, she ducked away from it again, hurriedly moving to her position near the door once again. 

'Kayra?! Can you hear us?" Hibiki called out this time, no doubt trying to use Archive to open the door by force. Wind was blowing out from underneath it, signalling Ren's presence as well. 

"I'm fine!" She ignored the light in her explination, not wanting to worry them. "But hurry, please" 

The light was again drifting lazily toward her, it's speed almost mocking her. She closed her eyes for a breif moment, hoping she could calm herself enough to think. 

"There you are, my child" Her eyes jerked open as the voice came from the light. The surface of it rippled, opened, and then allowed the same woman from before to materialize in front of her. "Sweet lttle Kayra has come to see old Gaiza" 

"Leave me alone" Kayra whispered as the woman adjusted the tunic she was wearing. 

"Kayra? Who's in there with you?" This time it was Ren's vocie that spoke. 

"So you have visitors, do you? Three knights coming to rescue the little princess before she gets herself lost" Gaiza cackled. 

Pressing her back to the wall, she ripped another card from the holder, throwing it at the woman. "Summoning Magic: Shadow Prison!" The dark arms she expected erupted from the card, surrounding the woman in a cage of them. 

"You're casting all wrong, my dear. Your magic is called Summoning Arc, not Summoning Magic." The woman crooned, her fingers reaching for Kayra through the arms of the shadows. 

"Leave me alone!" She cringed against the wall, desperately hoping they'd open the door to her left soon and save her from whatever was going on. 

"Kayra!" The door burst open, revealing the three members of the Trimens. Eve was first through the door. 

"Eve" Kayra's voice was ragged but relieved as she pushed away from the wall, throwing her arms around his neck. 

"Kay? Are you okay?" Eve wrapped his arms around her tightly as the others scanned the room, pushing into it and looking around. 

"Why'd you throw this card?" Ren crouched to grab the card she'd thrown, the shadow spell having broken. 

"How did-" Hibiki had paused next to the piano, noticing the card buried in the painting there. "What happened in here?" 

"Kayra?" Eve smoothed her hair, his voice concerned. 

She buried her face in his shoulder, trying to keep her tears from spilling over as she clenched her fingers in his shirt. "There was a ball of light. I tried to seal it but it threw my card back at me and it got stuck in the painting. Then that...that woman came out." 

"Shhh" Eve shushed her. "It's alright, Kay." 

"What woman?" Ren questioned. "The one from earlier?"