Chapter One

I turn towards Mother in my flowing blue gown and plaster a smile on my red lips. She nods approvingly and leaves. I sit in front of my mirror to see just what she had the maids do to my face.

Tonight is a masquerade ball celebrating a victory in the Lakelands. I don't know how we won a battle, or even what exactly the war is over anymore, but I must pretend to care. I am a Silver. I have no choice in my life whatsoever, but I must play the role.

I see unnatural red lips in the mirror, along with a light blue mask that covers my forehead down to my nose, and then there are tiny blue roses painted around my jaw and down my neck. My hair is in a low bun on the bottom of my neck with one large blue rose woven into it. My dress is light blue, as are my house colors. My shoes are white heels. I'm not sure how I manage to walk in the 6-inch things, but I was taught young that if it hurts, then I'm doing it right.

My lips would probably be blue too, but the red supports the colors of the royal house, Calore, whose colors are red and black, but I will not wear black to a celebration. I quit wearing black a year ago, after I quit 'mourning' Father's death. He cared little for my opinion, and instead focused all of his attention on trying to teach me how to win Queenstrial, which I have no desire to do. If I become queen, I want to do it alone, or control the one who claims to be king. Only a royal-born ruler can change things, and I am sick of war-talk. I want it over, but my house needs control first. I need control for this to work.

I look at my blue gown in the mirror. It's a beautiful thing, with long sleeves and a loose fit around me, dragging the floor slightly in the back. I dislike the neckline, though. It is too low for my liking, but Mother loves to make me uncomfortable.

I know tonight is going to be a nightmare, as most of the royal balls are. My mother will be drunk by the time we leave, and Samson will probably be dancing with every unmarried girl at the ball. He's good looking, but his Whisper ability is probably what draws the girls to him. This is a masquerade, so I'll test the theory tonight.

I know Rachel will be there, along with her brother, Ethan. They are the last of their house, but, with any luck, will soon be the royal house.

Tonight it will begin, but when it ends, only time will tell.

A/n
Ta da!!! Tell me what you think is going to happen, and I may add a few ideas. I don't have the whole book decided on yet, so your luck is high. I'll respond to any comment with ideas. I don't like this chapter much, but it's the first one, so it will get better. If you like it, 🌟 it please!!!