Intro To Leila

A/N: Before we get into this, I would like to explain a little something to you. I suck at names. I suck at remembering them, and I suck at giving them. So, to save me the stress of choosing a different name each time for the MC in my coming Predator series, they will all have the same name.

And to justify this, I'm using my creative powers to say fuck it and Leila is reincarnated in each new story simply because I can. A reincarnation or some sort of clone, anyway. It might add some flavor to the upcoming stories, or it will have no visible aspect at all. (I have yet to decide, but the reincarnation/clone aspect does sound fun to me!)

~

  I had a bachelor's degree in anthropology, and I was stuck here....flipping burgers. I had tried leaving this crappy, small town, but no matter what, I just found myself right back here. Whether it be financial struggles or inability to find work, I inevitably wound up back at my parent's house. They loved me, I knew, but I could tell they were disappointed every time I was on their doorstep again with nowhere else to go.

  The first time I had left, they had converted my room already, so I was sent to the basement henceforth. Who knew how hard it would be to make it in the anthropology field when you were younger than most and a woman?

  And who would have thought such stereotypes still existed in this day and age?

  Sighing, I splashed my face with water in the poorly lit restroom before grabbing the sides of the sink. This is not where I thought my life would end up. I had such bright prospects for myself, yet here I was, reeking of grease and week-old french fries while still living in my parents' basement. I wanted to change my life, but I didn't know how. I seemed cursed to keep coming back to this town.

  However, when I did have free time, I still did what I loved and studied past cultures and people. Though these things were already discovered and I wasn't getting paid for it, I still enjoyed it. I had so many curiosities that I couldn't sate here.

  "Leila, come on! We're getting backed up!" The manager was banging on the door while shouting at me. Closing my eyes for a second, I heavily sighed again and dried my face before leaving the bathroom.

  Returning to the kitchen, I grumpily picked up the spatula and went back to work at the grill. I only wished I could catch a break.

  Let something different happen in my life to break this repetitive cycle.

~

  This little town was basically cut off from the rest of the world with the hundreds of acres of forest surrounding us, which was both a blessing and a curse. The scenery was beautiful and the air was so fresh, but the occasional silence and looming of the tall trees could get to somebody sometimes.

  My house was about halfway between the woods and the center of town, so I didn't really have to worry much about a stray bear digging in my trash or raccoons raiding the attic.

  Trudging up to the front door, I put the key into the lock and went inside. Kicking off my shoes at the door, I headed downstairs to shower and scrub myself until I was pink to try and get rid of the smell sticking to my skin. Hitting the bottom of the concrete staircase, my feet padded across the soft, little carpet thrown there.

  Tossing my hat onto the couch, I already started stripping on my way to the bathroom tucked away in the corner of the basement. The shower had no tub, so I had to stand in there no matter what, but at least the showerhead beat down from above with that nice, hot water. Closing my eyes, I enjoyed the sensation of the water on my skin as my hair began to hang in clumps.

  It was already almost dark by the time I got out, and I plopped on the couch while grabbing the remote and turning on the TV. I kept the volume low, and a Sci-Fi movie original was playing. I didn't bother changing the channel; sometimes I just needed to watch a crappy movie, and this seemed like it was one so far. It helped as a distraction.

  I could softly hear the crickets chirping outside under the sound of the TV. Leaning back against the couch, I mindlessly watched the movie as the night dragged on.