Chapter 2

Krypto tilted his head curiously, knowing there was something Kali forgot to tell him about the Ungers. 

"Listen, I'm telling you I'm fine" Jack told his dad, sounding irritated and just wanting to have his space. "All right?" 

"OK" Dan said, leaving it alone.  

"You don't have to keep doing this" Jack continued, sounding irritated and upset with his father. "You've got other things to worry about, like being a prison guard to lab rats"

"You know what?" Dan came up to his son, telling him. "I like the new job"

Just then, the telephone was heard ringing inside. 

"Look, if you don't want the dog I'll take him to the pound this afternoon" Dan told his son before opening the back door and went back inside. 

Dan, Jack and the beagle, now named Shoeshine came back inside the house. Krypto quietly followed at a distance behind them, peaking his head through the door that was left a crack open. 

"Hello? No, no, I'll come back" Krypto heard Dan on the phone, before he hung up. "All right, thank you"

"I got to go back to work" Dan told his son. 

"What about Shoelick?" Jack asked, referring to the beagle. 

"Shoeshine" Dan corrected, while the beagle came into the living room. 

"Listen, do me a favor" Dan told his son while putting on his jacket. "Keep an eye on him"

Jack groaned in response at having to watch the dog. 

"You know what? Give him a chance" Dan told his son, referring to Shoeshine. "You might even like him"

"I don't think so" Jack replied. "All he does is eat, sleep and poop" 

Krypto gave Jack a bit of a dirty look, retaliating to that. Knowing there was a LOT more to taking care of dogs than just throwing a stick and feeding them.

"Then the two of you have a lot in common, don't you?" Dan looked to his son before he left the house.  

Jack glanced back at the beagle who was looking right at him before he left for school. 

After the house was vacant with no one around except for Shoeshine, Krypto entered the living room. 

"Krypto?" Shoeshine turned, seeing the white lab come in (not wearing his red cape and superdog 'S' symbol on his collar).

"Hey, pal" Krypto smiled at the beagle as he came over to him, wagging his tail. 

"I thought I smelled you" Shoeshine said to him. "What are you doing here?" 

"I just thought I'd come by and check up on you" Krypto replied. "See how you're doing" 

Shoeshine smiled back at the white labrador, glad to have a friend who cared about him. Shoeshine then decided to take a little nap underneath the coffee table, as there wasn't much for him to do by himself. Krypto came over and laid by the beagle, but didn't go to sleep. 

Strangely, Krypto and Shoeshine started getting these senses and could hear voices inside their heads. Simon Barsinister, the mad scientist who experimented on Shoeshine was explaining to his assistant Cad Lackey about the serum that Shoeshine obtained, that little did the beagle not know yet had given him incredible superpowers.

"I can isolate specific protein strands in animal DNA. Then combine them anyway I want. This will give him the speed of a cheetah, the ability to fly like an eagle, or the strength of an animal one hundred times his weight"